Thread: shaded relief to top down city map

Question shaded relief to top down city map

Do you fellows know a good technique to add shaded relief to a top down view city map? I have some b&w maps drawn in photoshop and the like that are on a cliff next to the sea. I just wanted to add a shaded relief style cliff or add some terrain to the area around the city. I've also considered making part of the city on a higher bluff than other sections. Any idea how I'd do that?

Here is the sample style of map I am referring to.
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cityxmpl.gif 
Views:	646 
Size:	45.3 KB 
ID:	37545

Theres a bunch of tuts about that in the tutorial section.

So you said before but neither time have you suggested a specific useful tutorial. It's like telling a blind drowning man there is a life jacket in the ocean somewhere that might help him, just go look for it. If I don't have the skill or knowledge to look for the specific type of tutorial I need then it's as useful as telling the blind man to look for something he cannot see.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The title seems to indicate that you are trying to do shaded relief on buildings when what you are looking for is the terrain underneath the buildings. First, try Pyrandon's tutorial for towns or cities, can't remember the proper terminology he used. It covers the terrain as well as the buildings. Second, I did a faux National Geographic shaded relief tutorial. Third, there is a specific link to an off-site tutorial for shaded-relief which might be in the tutorial section or in the reference material section...the link is something like shaded-relief.com. Fourth, just dig around in the tutorial section to see what catches your eye. Fifth, try using the on-site search box for "shaded relief". Lastly, you might try to provide an example of the type of map which you are looking to replicate and not one which you are just starting. Hope this helps somewhat.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

It sounds excellent. You've most likely done me a world of good. Thanks a lot! My failure to properly label my question shows my lack of understanding, I'll work on that.
    Last edited by mwsasser; 08-06-2011 at 11:22 AM.