Thread: World Map

Guild Applicant

Wip World Map

Hello all, I'm new to the site and suddenly got excited. I'm completely open to critiques. My world map have gone through about 9 revisions over the years. This is the first time I've let others see it. It's incomplete and I'm unsure of whether or not I'm going to keep some of the textures. But here is a first draft of the first age geography. Please let me know what you think

Nathan
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	World Map.jpg 
Views:	480 
Size:	4.60 MB 
ID:	37386  

Hey! I really like how it looks, although I've got one (tentative) critique. The white of the ice/tundra bit in the north looks like it follow the latitude line (marking the polar circle, I'm guessing) too closely. With such a large landmass, the ice/tundra should swing more southerly in the centre (not tempered by the ocean and all), especially with all those mountains. In my opinion, anyway.

Guild Applicant

Quote Originally Posted by Meridok View Post
    Hey! I really like how it looks, although I've got one (tentative) critique. The white of the ice/tundra bit in the north looks like it follow the latitude line (marking the polar circle, I'm guessing) too closely. With such a large landmass, the ice/tundra should swing more southerly in the centre (not tempered by the ocean and all), especially with all those mountains. In my opinion, anyway.
    Good call. That's something I never really thought of. That bright green in the middle is supposed to be a swamp, but now that I'm looking at it, it looks WAY too far north.
    If you, or anyone else sees anything that doesn't make a lot of sense, by all means, please let me know.

Maybe if you made it darker/more boreal in colour? Something like the northern Canadian Shield? That's fairly swamp-ish territory, and probably on an equivalent latitude. Tundra land itself is pretty marsh-like in warmer months, for that matter! As far as I'm aware. Although, for that matter, how would a swamp exist in amongst all those mountains? No matter where the wind is coming from, you'd get major rainshadowing, I'd think, and most run-off would go on the windward side of the mountains. Just thought of that as typing this, lol.

Glad you found it of use. I'm not a geographer or geologist (as much as I enjoy those subjects) or anything but I've spent a lot of time working on realistic climate for maps of my own!