Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Magnamund (The World of Lone Wolf)

Guild Adept

Looking really good.

Quote Originally Posted by waldronate View Post
    Judging from the huge fault going diagonally across the map, I'd say that what looks like a delta is more likely a badlands that has been partially submerged or shattered chunk of terrain that's cracked below sea level.
    Convinced - I'd been irritated due to the direct connection between those badlands and the major rivers leading to the northeast.

Quote Originally Posted by Diamond View Post
    Don't blame me for the geography.
    never again ;-)

And your latest WIP is great! As simple as they are, I really love your border style (or are this streets? they don't lead into any settlement).
    Can't await to see where this will end up.

>Moe
    Last edited by Moe; 07-29-2011 at 06:17 AM.

Great idea... I have had similar thoughts on doing at least some parts of this world. In case you did not know, the books are legally back in "print" at http://www.projectaon.org, as well as some fan art and maps. This is thanks mainly due to the willingness of the original author Joe Dever to allow the project to re-compile those books for which he possessed ownership into html linked format. Of course, much of the artwork could not be included due to the time and effort it would take to obtain license to reprint their work, not to mention that in some cases, each book had 4+ cover art works.

Do you plan to make the area around Helgedad a bit more volcano-y?
    Last edited by jfrazierjr; 07-29-2011 at 07:17 AM.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    As simple as they are, I really love your border style (or are this streets? they don't lead into any settlement).
    Can't await to see where this will end up.
    Yep, those are borders. I think I'm actually going to change them, make them more subtle, since there's so many of them they kinda overwhelm the landscape.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Do you plan to make the area around Helgedad a bit more volcano-y?
    Yep, just need to come up with a good way of doing it. I also need to figure out how to do that petrified forest in the southern part of the Darkland, and also the two or three big rifts/canyons that are sprinkled here and there.

Loving this. It's bringing back a lot of great memories, adventuring as a Kai Monk and (eventually) as a Magnakai. Keep it up!

Sorry for the long delay between updates; I was helping my dad move house last weekend.

Anyway, here's another stage complete. I think the icepack, chasms, and lava bed turned out pretty decent.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Magnamund5.jpg 
Views:	850 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	37502  

Dig it... not quite sure I like the volcano area... lava GOOD... but there should be a ton of volcano's and I would expect them to show up somehow(??))... but really don't know what to suggest<shrug>

Forests are quiet nice... my one complaint is that some of them seem to miss the texture that others have in nice detail... not sure if this was just an oversight or what... example: the forests in Summerlund and Durenor seem to be more hazy/blurred compared to the texture on the forests in Dessi. This appears to be a tillable pattern from CG textures, did it some areas get missed in a layer mask or some other type of layer adjustment?

Ice packs are cool... do you plan to add a few stray chunks also?

BTW, I LOVE the ocean texture you got going on....it's just beautiful... could you share what you did? I will say that i am not quite sure I like it on "this" map with the more "realistic" land textures though...
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

That's a nice one!
    Still excited about where this is gonna end up.

Those two dark gaps (close to Magador and Dessi), are those canyons or are they meant to be cracks in the paper surface?
    If they are cracks I would suggest to enhance their look at a later point.

And lastly: the colours are quite nice. Like it.

>Moe
    If I stare at the country long enough
    I can prise it off the paper,
    lift it like a flap of skin.
    - Moniza Alvi, 1993 -

This is turning out to b quite a lovely map Diamond. Great job, as usual.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    Dig it... not quite sure I like the volcano area... lava GOOD... but there should be a ton of volcano's and I would expect them to show up somehow(??))... but really don't know what to suggest<shrug>

Forests are quiet nice... my one complaint is that some of them seem to miss the texture that others have in nice detail... not sure if this was just an oversight or what... example: the forests in Summerlund and Durenor seem to be more hazy/blurred compared to the texture on the forests in Dessi. This appears to be a tillable pattern from CG textures, did it some areas get missed in a layer mask or some other type of layer adjustment?

Ice packs are cool... do you plan to add a few stray chunks also?

BTW, I LOVE the ocean texture you got going on....it's just beautiful... could you share what you did? I will say that i am not quite sure I like it on "this" map with the more "realistic" land textures though...
    Haven't added in volcanoes yet; there are indeed lots of 'em, and I'm still playing around with trying to find a good way to represent them.

I'm not seeing what you're talking about with the forests; I'll look at it closer when I get home tonight. There's no layer masking involved with them, just laid down with the pattern stamp tool.

The ocean is very simple, just a blue fill. The texturing you're seeing is just from the parchment layer on top of everything else. I think I have it set to soft light or something, so it doesn't interfere too much with the land, but enhances the ocean.

For the ice pack, I may add some extra chunks. Haven't decided yet.
    Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    That's a nice one!
    Still excited about where this is gonna end up.

Those two dark gaps (close to Magador and Dessi), are those canyons or are they meant to be cracks in the paper surface?
    If they are cracks I would suggest to enhance their look at a later point.

And lastly: the colours are quite nice. Like it.

>Moe
    Those are big-ass chasms in the ground.
    Quote Originally Posted by arsheesh View Post
    This is turning out to b quite a lovely map Diamond. Great job, as usual.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh
    Thanks.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast