Thread: Yma, the land between Heaven and Hell.

Wip Yma, the land between Heaven and Hell.

These maps are for the novel series I'm currently working on, spanning thousands of years in the world of Yma. (The name comes from yam, the Osranti word for land, and would be pronounced [y-ma'] in that language.) The first series takes place on the western half of the western continent, called Tilan.

Here are a couple more views on this. (Sorry if double posting is taboo here. I don't know the rules yet.)

I think it looks rather good.. Really good actually clean and to the point. I love it

But.. That cracked me up "The Planet of Yam's" But it is a nice name as long as you don't call it that. Good luck with it!

Don't worry. I will definitely not call it the "The Planet of Yam's." The books are more or less serious.

I was told by a very important adviser (e.g. my wife), that the continents didn't look natural, so I changed it up a bit. Here's an updated version.

Last edited by Subcreator; 07-30-2011 at 04:03 PM.

A closer look at the northwestern region called Tilan, the subcontinent where my first trilogy takes place.

Guild Apprentice Blindkingofbohemia's Avatar

Looks great, and as an aspiring writer myself, I'm interested to hear anything about the story
    The screenies of the globe you showed; what program did you use to make them?

I used the Map to Object filter in GIMP 2.6 to get the globe and picked the object Sphere. For the polar map, I used the distortion filter Polar Coordinates. The story is about the battle between the followers of Ilahar, the divine High King of Heaven, and the demonic Fallen who rebelled against him at the creation of Yma. At one point in the story, a number of them become immortal, and so the ensuing stories over thousands of years include the Wanderers, as this group of immortals is called. It's all rather complex with a lot of cultural and national strife involved. Oh, and insanity. Lots and lots of insanity.

And here's an updated version of the whole map using the changes I made to the Tilan region.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I like that revised continent layout. Yer wife was right.

And it's always good to see more aspiring writers here.