Thread: My Finished Maps link question/Wish

Default My Finished Maps link question/Wish

Many of us have a "Finished maps" link in our signature that opens a list of all finished map threads however I am wondering if it is possible to have it show thumbnails instead of links?

I am desiring something along the lines we have in our "Finished Maps Thumbs" thread. I don't know how much of a strain that might put on the server but I think it would be nicer than a list of thread links. It would be more visual for one thing.

I have had to roll through that massive list of thumbs a few times looking for a specific map one of you made when I could not remember the name because some of you have pages of finished threads. Clicking into and out of each one trying to find the map I was looking for was time consuming. A bunch of thumbnails for that artist's finished pieces would have been great.

Thanks again you website server elves who keep this whole place running. I understand there may be a reason we don't have what I'm wishing for so I promise not to flip out if it can't be done

Cheers!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Not in the sig... thats limited to size to much.... I would think that once Arcana or RobA have some time, they "might" be persuaded to make a generic "show finished map thumbs for user X" where X is a username added to the querystring.... we would have to wait for them to chime in since they are the only ones that can do it..
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Yeah that's what I meant - I don't think a bunch of thumbs in our actual sig would be too good.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This is a question for Arcana & RobA. Though I do like the idea.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Blog Entries

Can't you just do like... umm... I think it is RJBeals has done and make a sig graphic that uses some thumbnails of your maps and then use that as the link to your "my maps" directory?
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Do you mean have a link that takes you to the thumbnails? That's what I'm after. If you mean like RJBeals has them in his signature, can you just imagine someone like Ascension's sig?

Ah, I see what you mean now (after looking up RJBeals sig and clicking on the link). I think he's the only one who has done this. I would have to load all my images into my albums I guess. Honestly, I tried to use those when I started and it was just a mess so I gave it up. I could never seem to get the albums to work right or accept new uploads. You might be onto something however.

Blog Entries

RobA has been making some interesting progress on finished map thumbs so just hold in there and he may be able to get something going. My thumb scraper is really not up to the task when it comes to finished maps.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

yes, I was just thinking the same - I'm sure RobA's new script might be able to do this. The only question is server load, but I'll leave that to the techie guys
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Well.. the server load should be fairly light overall since it's a DB query, so it should be fairly fast depending on the "template" used to render the page. When/if we can ever get the image conversion offloaded to a different server, THAT is what would make a much better performance improvement than almost anything else...
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------