Thread: Large Files, Heavy Details

Post Large Files, Heavy Details

I realized that the maps I post tend to be too large to fit properly on the forum. The problem is that I just like to use very large files in creating my maps. That way, I can do the details and then shrink it down, or crop out what I want if I want to make a map of a smaller area. In fact, the main file for my whole world map is about 5400 pixels wide. With smaller areas, like a city or building map, I like to do it at a ratio of a pixel per foot, or a regional map at a pixel per mile.

Does anyone else use files that large, or do you draw them out first and scan them?

I always work with large files (current map is 9600x4800), and I'll generally just scale down the resolution by 1/3 before posting. Makes it much easier to upload, and often makes it look better too

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I usually pick a paper size instead of a pixel size. But I have a similar problem, in that I tend to grow my files too large - I love Inkscape but it just can't cope with files with a lot of nodes in them. Bogs down really quickly.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

yep... I like large file sizes as well - probably comes from my working with off-line graphics - if the file wont print nice later its not worth it. My current BIG project is 16000 x 12000 pixels ... I then scale it down for posting here - but I try to put the high res versions up on Deviant Art as well
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I started off with monitor-sized maps.. then this place spoiled me for huge files with lots of detail
    My typical pattern lately (with a few notable exceptions) has been to open up a 16x22@300dpi and work from there..
    6600x4800 in terms of pixels, woot!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

I'm glad I'm not the only one. Unfortunately for me, I'm working off of a laptop, and so the graphics card and memory aren't all that great for massive files. I'd love to get something else, but I just don't have the money. Heck, that's why I use GIMP. It's free.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

working of my MacBook Pro - my old pc couldn't handle the tablet - it reacted terribly slow which made it rather hard to paint/draw with it. I'd still love more ram though to speed up calculations
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

That's why I prefer using a vector app like Xara to create my maps, as I generally create maps at 24" x 36" without any notion of pixels at all. Working in vector is not reliant on a specific pixel dimension as any raster application requires. When I am done I can export to 100 ppi for VT uses or posting on this forum, and I can still print at full scale 300 dpi from the same map original without making changes at all. PPI is determined at image export only. The map that I created for Paizo was a 36" x 48" map setup, but then I hand-drew 4 each, 18 x 24 inch sized sheets that were scanned and composited to the "E" size. Of course sending a version to Paizo for review, I only export as a 96 ppi image - as they will only look, and not intended for print.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations