Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Well met, fellow cartographers!

Professional Artist Justin Raven's Avatar

Thanks, everyone. I am mostly a traditional artist. An up-and-coming illustratour. I'm working on a majour project right now with a friend that will be sold via a gaming site. I'll keep you guys informed when it comes out. A product full of illustrations and maps by yours truly

I am going to take a gander, here, at more of the maps you guys have to offer. I just finished a big (personal) project for a home brewed campaign setting. I'll upload the map, here. One of my first photo shop maps. Just a quick thing to send to my gaming group to see if they are interested in gaming on this place

Thank you all for being so welcoming. I appreciate it. This is a wonderful community. My best friend actually informed me of your forum. We were going over some options and ideas for how to get connected (he's an illustratour, too, but I like the maps

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Middle Sea Region Map - Colour.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	37572).

Thanks,

J.

I've been stuck on the 'Krull' soundtrack, for awhile. There's just something about that movie, man... I wanted this map to be a representation of a very whimsical place, to carry an atmosphere of classic adventure and gaming. That is usually the look I am going for in my maps and art. Also the reason I use traditional materials. I love the ambiance of gaming from the 8o's through the early nineties. I strive to capture that 'light' feeling of adventure and questing. But it's not always about 'light'. There is darkness. I guess, the easiest way to sum it up is: epic adventuring. I like the Tolkien-style high fantasy created by him and his contemporaries, like E.R. Eddison and (cringe) C.S. Lewis. This world is a place where the geography doesn't quite make sense. But that is okay. I was striving for something whimsical. Any feedback is welcome.

Actually, I apologize if I offended anyone with the way I mentioned C.S. Lewis. I should clarify. That was a pretty sweeping remark. He was a very intelligent man, and I respect him greatly, as a writer and a thinker. I've read many of his books, philosophical, theological, and fictional. I just don't like some allegory.

Blog Entries

Welcome, nice maps. If you post that map in the finished maps page and read the sticky there then it might get nominated as a featured map and get on the sites front page. I think its a great map and easily worthy. There is a facebook page for the guild too (tho I am not an FB user).

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

welcome to the guild - and cool maps - and you'll find a lot of good info in here I'm sure
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Thanks, again, everyone I posted in the 'Finished Maps' section, Redrobes. Thanks for the recommendation

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Raven View Post
    Thanks, everyone. I am mostly a traditional artist. An up-and-coming illustratour. I'm working on a majour project right now with a friend that will be sold via a gaming site. I'll keep you guys informed when it comes out. A product full of illustrations and maps by yours truly

I am going to take a gander, here, at more of the maps you guys have to offer. I just finished a big (personal) project for a home brewed campaign setting. I'll upload the map, here. One of my first photo shop maps. Just a quick thing to send to my gaming group to see if they are interested in gaming on this place

Thank you all for being so welcoming. I appreciate it. This is a wonderful community. My best friend actually informed me of your forum. We were going over some options and ideas for how to get connected (he's an illustratour, too, but I like the maps

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Middle Sea Region Map - Colour.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	2.10 MB 
ID:	37572).

Thanks,

J.
    I like most of this map...my one complaint is the forked river which happens fairly rarely and never lasts over generations of time.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Thank you for the critique. To be honest, I didn't even think about it. It makes sense. A river only ever wants to flow in one direction. Hence the ox-bow will eventually either become a lake or straighten out. Thank you Now that I'm looking at it, it is rather odd, logistically. A large oversight on my part. That's weird angle for a river to flow. That particular watercourse would not last very long, I think. For now, I am going to leave it. The world itself is whimsical. I very much respect your input. It's an important consideration (one I am a bit bothered I missed). Thanks, again.

J.

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

I must be missing something - I don't see any problems with the rivers, though maybe it's the way I'm interpreting the flow.

The way I see it is this:

Harper's sorrow flows into the Sea of Astyra, which is connected to the Middle Sea.
    Dragon's Throat (tongue?) flows south and joins with South Run to become the Otterill (sp?)
    Middle Sea empties northward through the South Run, and joins up with the Dragon's Throat to become with Otterill.
    Dem Song joins the Otterill
    Otterill becomes R. Orc which empties into the Eastern Sea.
    River flowing into the Sea of Idd looks fine, not connected in any way on this map.

The only concern I can see is if the South Run actually is intended to flow southwards... If that's the case and it's not written in somewhere with specific details already, looks to be an easy fix with the flow mentioned above

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post

The only concern I can see is if the South Run actually is intended to flow southwards... If that's the case and it's not written in somewhere with specific details already, looks to be an easy fix with the flow mentioned above
    Yep... that was my thought...My brain took the liberty of seeing the middle sea empty into an ocean, which may be totally false... If the middle sea empties to the north into South Run(but then why is it called South Run instead of North Run??) then this is fine....
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast