Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Eriond: A World Map

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Looking really good so far...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Is there any reason you can't create a 'Lake Fix Layer', use the color picker to match whatever color you'll eventually have the lake shallows, and just go in by hand and and make a bit more of a ragged coast? That's what I do when my lakes end up looking too regular in shape.

Looking awesome, by the way.

Looking fantastic like always Arsheesh! I was going to suggest for the two lakes that don't have much in the was of random coast, that you could always make them a little bigger and cut away some jagged coastlines. Obviously, I'm not sure how you have your layers and design all set up, just a thought.

Thanks for the suggestions guys. The method I am using for this map involves several steps, beginning with a greyscale heightmap which I run through Wilbur to generate rivers and a bit'o terrain, then import back to GIMP to do the bump map and (several) color maps. So any changes would need to occur to the height map first, and then be applied to the other layers. But perhaps it would be worth it to do so. Hm, more on this later.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

that will look awesome wrapped around a globe

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Hey this is cool stuff Arsheesh. I'm looking forward to watching you finish this baby.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

(oh yeah, stolen for the inspiration folder, lol)
    Those are some very nice landmasses. I'm still working on that one, lately I've taken to snagging islands from realworld maps and twisting them around to make coastlines. Works fine on the smaller maps but continent sized ones still take me bloody ages before i'm happy.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I'm with Diamond here. Just pick the solid color for water shallows and go back and hand paint with a scatter brush to break up the coast. Way easier than re-editing everything from start and should take all of 2 minutes. Rivers should stay intact if you don't go hog-wild with the coast.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Something like this:
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	EriondSample copy.png 
Views:	122 
Size:	103.2 KB 
ID:	37791  

@Diamond & Ascension: Wow, that turned out much better than I thought! I'll go ahead and give it a try, and thanks for the tip.

@Coyotemax, yeah I've never tried the globe thing before but I was planning on experimenting with it for this map.

@Jax, thanks for the encouragement bro!

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast