Thread: Ice Flower Island

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Default Ice Flower Island

Imagine you're looking through your window on a cold winter day. During the night ice flowers have formed on your bedroom window, and you start looking at one, staring at one, until you feel like the ice flower is something more than just a fernshaped bit of frozen water. No longer is it a fast fading random image created by water, but as you keep staring, it transforms into something more durable, permanent as it were. You keep staring, and suddenly you realize you're looking at a massive landscape. Ice fringes become archipelagos reaching for the lands beyond the horizon, ridges become... mountain ridges, capped with snow. Rivers form, carving valleys and working their way to sea.
    And then... civilization. As you stare at the ice flower on your window, you see cities being formed, empires being wrought, battles being fought. And before you know what's happening, these people start their own religion. And what they worship is... you.

Just by staring, you have become a God.

---------------------------------------------

Well, that's maybe a bit over the top, but I certainly felt like "woaw, I could make a map of this!" when I stumbled on this image on this Google+ page by user Владислав Зеньков (Vladislav Zenkov):

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	7.jpg 
Views:	1384 
Size:	200.0 KB 
ID:	52400

There's no cities or empires on it, not just yet, but I'd like to share what I have nevertheless. Be sure to let me know what you think!

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Hoarfrost.jpg 
Views:	359 
Size:	881.0 KB 
ID:	52401
    Last edited by Caenwyr; 02-20-2013 at 03:00 PM.
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Very, very nice. It's got a partly Icelandish, partly Irish coast feel to it, though maybe a bit too point for my tastes.

Ferrol, Coruña, Spain, Earth, Solar System

I agree with Naeddyr a bit too pointy but nice, and the resulting orography is not than weird as one can think. I would look foward the development of this thread.

Funny idea!
    But the ice flower doesn't look like any real ice flower I've seen. That's a computer generated ice flower, isn't it?

Guild Expert Facebook Connected Caenwyr's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Freehand 5.5 View Post
    Funny idea!
    But the ice flower doesn't look like any real ice flower I've seen. That's a computer generated ice flower, isn't it?
    I sure hope it isn't, else I've made a fool of myself. If you check out the website I linked to, you'll see there's tons of those ice flowers. I don't know the guy, but don't worry, I asked politely whether I could use the image and fool around with it a bit. The Russian creator (photographer or photoshop fiddler) gave his permission. Maybe he didn't make them. You know how the saying goes: in Russia you don't make ice flowers; ice flowers make you! ;-)
    Caenwyr Cartography

Check out my portfolio!

Quote Originally Posted by Caenwyr View Post
    in Russia you don't make ice flowers; ice flowers make you! ;-)
    Ha, great!

Where I live it isn't that cold. Perhaps those ice flowers do look different if it's 20 degrees colder.

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

That's a cool ( ) idea, and I like the way it turned out. Awesome colors.

What a clever idea, and you've done a marvelous job fleshing it out as well! Kudos.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh