Thread: Map request for private fantasy world

Post Map request for private fantasy world

Greetings!

I have been working on a private fantasy project for some time now. It is not connected to any kind of roleplaying module or world, but the material I have created might become a novel or series of novels sometime in the distant and muddled future (depending on whether or not I succeed at world conquest).

Since the project has become quite detailed, I have realized that I will be in need of a map that is more professionally created than I can achieve. What I am looking for is this:

• An aestethically pleasing map, according to wishes.
    • Ability for me to add names, cities, borders and suchlike (i.e., not too fuddled with details). Customizable.

The point of the map would be that I would be able to customize it. I am a history major, which means that the main focus for my world is its history and timeline. This means that I will need to illustrate for myself the political, cultural and demographical changes on a map, in order to gain a clear view of my project.

Contact me via PM if you are interested, and I will give you further details . I am absolutely not a rich person, but if the artist is very ambitious, I will feel obliged to reward this monetarily.

Here follows a map originally made in Paint (!), which I have used for printing. It depicts the continent, its mountainous regions as well as rivers and lakes.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Karta, skiss med berg.JPG 
Views:	257 
Size:	160.5 KB 
ID:	2517  

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    You did that in paint! I'm very impressed!
    Well to be frank, the map was originally done in paint, with borders, cities and such things added. Then I removed all that and traced the mountains and rivers in Photoshop (and thats about where my skill in that program ends) in order to get an acceptable map for printing.

Post Just to see whats what

This is really simple blue and brown.

So its basically one continent?

Sigurd

Indeed, but add some ocean in the northern part too, where the rivers flow out .

I have realized that I will be in need of a map that is more professionally created than I can achieve.
    I guess that my question would be, why? The map that you posted is clean, relatively easy on the eyes, and gets the point across.

I know that you said that it is because the project has become quite detailed. But what do you mean by this? I mean, if you are using the map to help you visualize the major changes in your world (A sort of atlas of your history.), why does it need to be anything more than what you have? Unless, of course, at some point in the future, you want to actually sell such an atlas for your project. But I don't really think you need it now.

Of course, if you are willing to pay someone for their cartographic services, more power to you and them. I just don't see the reason at this stage.

Oh, and Sigurd's map looks rather nice to me.

I'll just quick-chime in to back up The Cartographist: you could quite easily and quickly create a great map using what you already have and a little tutorial help. I'm in favor of you handing out money for maps, of course, but just an idea to keep it in house.
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Quote Originally Posted by pyrandon View Post
    I'll just quick-chime in to back up The Cartographist: you could quite easily and quickly create a great map using what you already have and a little tutorial help. I'm in favor of you handing out money for maps, of course, but just an idea to keep it in house.
    After thinking a bit about the matter, I suppose I agree with you . Well then, onwards to the other discussion forums, when I have the time!

Great. Make sure to post questions--no matter how small--and keep us appraised of your progress on the map!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]