Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: sketchy charcoal

Guild Adept

Map sketchy charcoal

while trying to finalise my other map (FT+photoshop) I did this just with PS, for a quick distraction.
    It's some of pasis' tutorial, just in greyscale.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Charcoal.jpg 
Views:	195 
Size:	312.5 KB 
ID:	37533
    Last edited by feanaaro; 08-04-2011 at 06:20 AM.

That's quite cool! Do you plan to add to this? I would like to see something like this monochrome scheme with a slight iso perspective if your up for it....

My one complaint(which is just me and very minor) would be that I would like the outer coastal "glow" be less regular. To me, it really stands out against the very subtle texture of the sea...
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Adept

You are right about the glow. I should do that by hand perhaps, or is there a way to "randomise" it?
    Notice that I am not good with PS, just learning, so many things that may be obvious to experienced users I don't know.
    I would like to do it isometrically, but I don't know how, except by drawing by hand, something I am exceedingly bad at.

Quote Originally Posted by feanaaro View Post
    You are right about the glow. I should do that by hand perhaps, or is there a way to "randomise" it?
    Notice that I am not good with PS, just learning, so many things that may be obvious to experienced users I don't know.
    I would like to do it isometrically, but I don't know how, except by drawing by hand, something I am exceedingly bad at.
    I don't know PS, so can't give specific help...

I assume you used a stroke on a path or selection? I know in GIMP since you can stroke with a brush, you can set jitter which makes the brush move closer and away from the stroked path as it moves around. Another possibility is size jitter....

I actually wonder if perhaps a diffusion pattern might not work well, especially if there is jitter along the path and jitter on the brush size. I just have no idea how one would do that type of thing...
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Adept

No, it is just an inner glow, set to a dark grey color, applied to the sea layer.

Quote Originally Posted by jfrazierjr View Post
    I assume you used a stroke on a path or selection? I know in GIMP since you can stroke with a brush, you can set jitter which makes the brush move closer and away from the stroked path as it moves around. Another possibility is size jitter....
    That is in deed possible with PS.

You could draw a path around your landmass with the pen tool and stroke it with certain changes within the brush presets.
    I've made the example for another purpose but here is a hint on how to do this.

If you don't want to work with paths: create a copy of your landmass, fill it with white colour, add a stroke as you did it, merge this layer with an empty one (rasterize effect on the stroke), use motion blur or any other filter helping you with a little displacing - then you can add noise again if that is what you want.

Just notice that there are enormous ways to reach this effect and non of them is right or wrong, just different ;-)

>Moe
    If I stare at the country long enough
    I can prise it off the paper,
    lift it like a flap of skin.
    - Moniza Alvi, 1993 -

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

That has a really neat look to it.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I really like this. Looks like it belongs in a fantasy novel.

Guild Adept

This is the same tecnique while trying to catch an effect of "raised paper", without a single visible stroke at the moment (but for the other elements, forests, cities etc, I will have to yield, methinks).

Name:	Sepia.jpg 
Views:	111 
Size:	403.0 KB 
ID:	37558

Guild Adept

Mountains were too strong, I toned them down. I also tried some casual fillings of forests and cities using Starraven calligraphic brushes, just to see how it came along.

Name:	Sepia.jpg 
Views:	117 
Size:	811.7 KB 
ID:	37564

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast