Thread: Random tiles

Question Random tiles

Is there a program or an add on for gimp that would allow you to take a collection of art and then tile them in a selected area randomly? For example, you have four or five grass tiles that need to be placed randomly so you don't get a noticeable pattern.

I have a script that will get you part way there. It will shuffle an imaged based on a grid setting. (see my sig - "Tile Shuffle" ).

You could fill the area (on the grid) with 5 different patterns than shuffle them. Or I can write a new script....( goes away thinking....)

-Rob A>

I'll have to play with the tile shuffler. Thanks!

OK - attached is a zip of quick script I put together. It shows up as Edit->Fill with Random Pattern Tiles...

It lets you pick up to 5 patterns (not files) and specify weights for each pattern. It will fill the current selection with tiles randomly chosen from those patterns. The tile size is based on the size of the Base Pattern.

Attached are a sample dialog and the result when I had an elliptical selection on the layer. You can see the weights were 1, 1, and 2, so the image will be roughly 25% base pattern, 25% alternate pattern1 and 50% alternate pattern 2.

It isn't too smart as it fills the whole image space. I'm working on fixing that...
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	2011-08-05_161346.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	40.7 KB 
ID:	37569Click image for larger version. 

Name:	test.jpg 
Views:	58 
Size:	33.9 KB 
ID:	37570

-Rob A>
    Attached Files Attached Files

very cool. thanks