Do I see.. A stick figure?
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	8edd5fb4cd9cb2ededce6815542c75c3.png 
Views:	54 
Size:	54.4 KB 
ID:	37800

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Yes, in fact if you look closely, you;ll see 22 stick figures
    Once I get the linework donee it'll make more sense.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

So I went back to the map itself, rivers and lakes placed - but now the forests are giving me no end of trouble.
    Been working with Ramah's forest generator but I just can't get it to look right. I'm going to have to revert to my original plan and expand on my latest forest style to get the look I want. I guess I'll have to take my own advice again.. *looks at the sig..*

Still, tonight wasn't a total loss, at least I have the regions mapped out in detail.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Even a little progress is better than none at all
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Finally settled on a forest style!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ss13.jpg 
Views:	87 
Size:	221.0 KB 
ID:	37900  

My finished maps

Oohh.. thats very pretty... BUT... is all the green forest? It's kind of disjointed and looks like one of those illusion things... like the never ending stair way thing... I guess perhaps some bits of forest needs "closing" to make it a "whole" section.
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I spoke a bit to soon before I really looked closely.... I REALLY don't like the thick outline combined with the blue rivers AND the fact that the river's mouth is closed off by the outline... It's just way to jarring IMO. Oh.. I really like your woodcut.. it looks like a fingerprint(in a good way!)
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Noted, I'm still working on that. I've actually separated everything into 3 separate files now so I can work with variations for each map. I think I'm going to settle on something from the Forest Generator for the line drawing version. I see what you mean by the "closing" comment, I may work that over a bit more. I really had to add colour to see where it was going before I did too much work on the outlines.

The rivers and edges will get worked over, I've made a few notes with similar observations to yours, thanks for confirming what I saw. I'm still working with major sleep dep (naptime now!) so it's time to take a break so i can step back and look at it with a critical eye

My finished maps

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    Noted, I'm still working on that. I've actually separated everything into 3 separate files now so I can work with variations for each map. I think I'm going to settle on something from the Forest Generator for the line drawing version. I see what you mean by the "closing" comment, I may work that over a bit more. I really had to add colour to see where it was going before I did too much work on the outlines.
    I actually like the "mass" forest here in this case instead of individual forest symbols... so hope you stick with that and just clean up and make it into whole groups that connect. So...I hope you stick with this style of forests going forward.

Quote Originally Posted by Coyotemax View Post
    The rivers and edges will get worked over, I've made a few notes with similar observations to yours, thanks for confirming what I saw. I'm still working with major sleep dep (naptime now!) so it's time to take a break so i can step back and look at it with a critical eye
    Heh.. thats cool... I think this is a really cool project and can't wait to see it finished... I really dig what you got going here...My only other suggestion would be on the leading spine line of the mountains(the part that "appears" to be coming toward the viewer instead of left or right), perhaps a bit more variation so that it is not mostly straight... You have some really nice cleft lines that give those mountains character... I just would not mind seeing the "spline" do some a squiggle or two to join into those cleft lines... but that's just me... I tent to want to make things quite a bit TOO detailed... which might be why I have so much of a hard time finishing a map!!!!
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Wip

I worked the forests over, removed most of the trunks, they weren't really working, I just left the ones on the edges. I kind of like the rivers like this. I also narrowed the outlines for the mountains for continuity.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ss14.jpg 
Views:	85 
Size:	200.3 KB 
ID:	37934  

My finished maps

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 123456 LastLast