Thread: The Isles

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Wip The Isles

So I picked up a new comission, this one kind of came at me from nowhere, but it's such a cool project I couldn't say no!

The name of the project is MILA'S FOUNTAIN and they also have set up a Facebook group (when I first started working with them last week, the webpage was nothing more than a graphic with Coming Soon - they've made a lot of additions in the last week!)
    They're traveling to a large fantasy/sci-fi expo in Canada at the end of August to start spreading the word as well, and get people following the project and will enter production and release the episodes next Fall.

I'm LOVING getting back into the mapping. My favourite part is that I finally got things sorted out so that I'm not letting work stifle my creativity.. My only complaint is that I need to a) work at the dayjob and b) sleep. One of the things I love about this map is that I'll get to go nuts with decorating it, and have been given a wide latitude for artistic leeway.. I'm doing at least 3 versions, the ornate wall-hanging size, chart type, and fold up in the pocket. I've been playing around with the terrain features, I think I've settled on a mountain style.. I've expanded a bit from my last hand-drawn map and added a few subtleties as well as some brushwork that made it a LOT less time consuming without compromising the quality.

The outlining around the shoreline is a placeholder at the moment, I've been working on a few interesting effects that I'm starting to really like.

I've got a mockup of one of the islands with all the terrain features added and coloured on the other computer, I was working on the desktop until I switched to the laptop (the laptop has better ram and processor than the desktop plus the 64 bit OS/photoshop.. but the desktop has better monitors.. argh!). I'll post that one in a bit so I can show off the direction I'm headed
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Untitled-1.jpg 
Views:	235 
Size:	254.4 KB 
ID:	37560  
    Last edited by Coyotemax; 08-07-2011 at 03:16 PM. Reason: Client permission to release project details

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."