Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: There May Or May Not Be Free Cookies Within This Thread

Map There May Or May Not Be Free Cookies Within This Thread

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0735.JPG 
Views:	62 
Size:	2.64 MB 
ID:	37609

I like this site. I was mildly unimpressed/bored with other forums I saw. In fact, I'd all but given up on a quality discussion resource. But lo and behold, there was you. Extremely promising.

I'm not particularly forum-savvy; however, if my basic computer skills are of any use to me, there should be a sample map photo attached to this post. It's one of my more recent endeavours, and is drawn with a level of sophistication contemporary with 5th graders (coloured pencils for the win). Unfortunately, it's an overview map and does not include the level of detail (proper mountain countours, small lakes, minor keeps/castles/towns, etc.) that the five component maps, currently in progress, contain. Anywho, I thought it'd be a fairly decent way to introduce myself.

Oh, also, hello.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC_0735.JPG 
Views:	56 
Size:	2.67 MB 
ID:	37607  
    Last edited by Insufferable Fool; 08-07-2011 at 03:49 PM. Reason: rotated picture to upright orientation

Blog Entries

Welcome, like the map. It has consistent shaded relief and good rivers. Not a bad start. I think its easier to do those sorts of maps digitally esp if your going to make higher scale versions of parts of it because you can copy a section, blow it up and then refine it. It keeps its scale and layout better than trying to match it by hand. Pencil is probably quicker tho.

Welcome!

Do you plan to work on this using any kind of graphical software?
    (I have to admit I could only look at it for a short time to avoid a stiff neck ;-) )

>Moe
    If I stare at the country long enough
    I can prise it off the paper,
    lift it like a flap of skin.
    - Moniza Alvi, 1993 -

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

And cheers for having a proper river structure in a first post...always a plus.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

Awesome work! don't put yourself down, that's a mighty fine piece you have. Nothing wrong with pencil crayon!

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    Welcome!

Do you plan to work on this using any kind of graphical software?
    (I have to admit I could only look at it for a short time to avoid a stiff neck ;-) )

>Moe
    Actually, I'd love to use software. I haven't the slightest idea where to start with that though. And I imagine that an economically challenged student like myself might have trouble acquiring such lofty tools. I'd certainly welcome recommendations; I'm here to learn

Quote Originally Posted by Insufferable Fool View Post
    Actually, I'd love to use software. I haven't the slightest idea where to start with that though. And I imagine that an economically challenged student like myself might have trouble acquiring such lofty tools. I'd certainly welcome recommendations; I'm here to learn
    A very economical entry point is Gimp, since it is free both as in speech and as in cookies. If you have access to a scanner, you can bring in hand drawn maps then colour them quite easily. This is what I did with the current featured map . If you are comfortable with hand drawing, then alternatively you might want to look at getting a tablet to draw with (again in a program like Gimp, or Painter, or a number of free/inexpensive tools). I just sold my old tablet (Graphire 3) for $50CDN on kijji, so they can be obtained for a reasonable price. I find it much easier to draw with a tablet than a mouse.

If you are more into line-art, then a program like Inkscape (also free) can be used easily with a mouse to create nice maps as well.

Once you get proficient with the idea of creating art in the computer you can consider options that may cost more. Things like Serif Drawplus or Xara Extereme are much less than the big name adobe products.

-Rob A>

Quote Originally Posted by RobA View Post
    A very economical entry point is Gimp, since it is ...
    Perfect! Thanks very much for all the info!

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

where are the cookies? ... welcome to the guild .. and as metioned GIMP is a great way to start with your digital mapping
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

What no cookies?

... Welcome Aboard!
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast