Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Before it's too late ...

Default Before it's too late ...

A year ago, on August 6, 2010, the Dundjinni (R) mapping product was taken off the market "temporarily." It never has returned, and the Dundjinni folks have posted on their website that it is uncertain when it will return (if, indeed, ever).

This is significant because the Dundjinni forums are the only true central point in the Internet for downloading free raster symbols (Dundjinni objects) and fill patterns (Dundjinni textures). There are thousands upon thousands of excellent quality symbols and fill patterns there. Most work just as well in other graphical and mapping programs as in Dundjinni.

Anyone here who has been intending to do a big download operation but who hasn't gotten around it yet might be well advised to get in gear. For a year now, someone has been paying the bills for the Dundjinni website without getting any new income to balance the costs. Twice in the last year, the Dundjinni site has been down for extended periods. In view of these circumstances, it's quite conceivable that the Dundjinni website might simply vanish overnight one day. One hopes not, but one can't count on it surviving.

Let's hope that a word to the wise will be sufficient. The address:

http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/default.asp

There you'll find an overwhelming amount of material ... not just standard fantasy RPG fare but also almost anything you need for modern and sci-fi mapping.
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Agreed about the wonderful objects there.. I need to take another trip back there and snatch me some even more things.

I once was there and browsed the objects - I used the thumbnail version somebody made there, but it got incredibly slow when I had more than a few hundred out of thousand objects in my cart. Is there any way to grab them all in one single download? It would be much easier to browse them on the harddrive. If so, I'd be glad if someone told me where to get that huge pack.

>Moe
    If I stare at the country long enough
    I can prise it off the paper,
    lift it like a flap of skin.
    - Moniza Alvi, 1993 -

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The CSUAC was the main thing for getting them all but it has a spotty record of being available.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks a ton, Ascension this was the right hint.
    Was able to find them here (Hale Gaming) if anyone is interested.

>Moe
    - Moniza Alvi, 1993 -

Thanks for the info and thanks for the link
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    Thanks a ton, Ascension this was the right hint.
    Was able to find them here (Hale Gaming) if anyone is interested.
    However, the CSUAC has only a very small part of the whole collection on the Dundjinni (R) forums, which continue to grow almost daily (as long as they're still there).
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Oliva View Post
    However, the CSUAC has only a very small part of the whole collection on the Dundjinni (R) forums, which continue to grow almost daily (as long as they're still there).
    Mh, so I guess there is no source including all the objects?
    >Moe
    - Moniza Alvi, 1993 -

I have something called the "SMAC" In my objects folder. I don't know where I got it but it rivals the CSUAC.

Quote Originally Posted by Moe View Post
    Mh, so I guess there is no source including all the objects?
    No. See below.

Quote Originally Posted by eViLe_eAgLe View Post
    I have something called the "SMAC" In my objects folder. I don't know where I got it but it rivals the CSUAC.
    The SMAC was withdrawn by the person who created it because he used the work without the copyright owners' consent. He simply collected other people's graphics from the Dundjinni site and republished them. He began getting cease-and-desist orders. That was what he explained online. Basically, the SMAC was illegal.

The CSUAC was legal. Cecil Solomon, who compiled it together with the Dundjinni forums, did have the copyright holders' permission to do so. However, several years have gone by since the CSUAC was updated, As I've mentioned, it contains only a small part of what the Dundjinni forums offer. The Hale download site hyperlinked above contains the old and small CSUAC.

Another site that legally offers a number of things that are duplicated in the Dundjinni forums is:

http://www.rpgmapshare.com/

... run by Jeff Alberts. But this site too has only a small part of the Dundinni collection.

Therefore, I again would urge anyone who wants what's still available to get it while it's still there, and the only place to do that is at the original source:

http://www.dundjinni.com/forums/default.asp
    Mark Oliva
    The Vintyri (TM) Project

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast