I found out about this site from a graphic artist who makes wonderful looking fantasy maps. I saw his work at GenCon this year and talked to him about it. I am just here to lurk and to see if I can learn about making some fantasy maps. I have CC3, but I feel inept with it. I also have ESRI ArcMap 9.2, but this is more of a profession software than one for fun.

IRL I am a cartographer. This gives me an appreciation for just about all maps, though it has made creating fantasy/artsy maps rather difficult, as I always think about the theory of plate tectonics and older continental drift, as well as water currents, and appropriate and logical places for hydrology (Rivers), and hypsography (the distribution of elevations hills, mountains, depressions, etc.). Also since I draw maps at work 9 to 5 everyday of the week, sometimes I find it hard to make a map at home "just for fun". I find it difficult to make a map without contour lines, or a grid.

I guess I should throw all the science out when making a fantasy map, but it is hard.

I hope my experience here will be one to learn some ways to make "just for fun" maps, as well as so pro-tips when making my own maps with the skills I have.

thanks for the time.