This gets more and more impressive
    I really like your docks.

>Moe
    If I stare at the country long enough
    I can prise it off the paper,
    lift it like a flap of skin.
    - Moniza Alvi, 1993 -

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The black stroke looks a little overpowering, maybe try a grayish brown so that it recedes a little bit instead of standing out so much. But if you keep it is as then that's fine, too.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks Big A for that, I was thinking that before, (had reduced the opacity from the original) then I looked at it again after your remark, it was very obvious... Anyways I'm playing with ideas still, I still like my original plan, but I've got a few patterns (still trying to cheat my way through this, don't want to do it by hand! haha) but here are a few options tell me what you think, and possible pros/cons or whatever you think might help.

1. So I've got the original colored area, I've got around the south end of it the same patterned just not cleaned up (can you tell the difference yes no?)
    2. Its the same as #4 but reduced down in size
    3. Is like the colored area but has more diagonal buildings (aidybaby's pattern reduced by 50%)
    4. Its a pattern I used to brush in the roads...

I need to clean up all the areas (around the edges) I plan on adding color to individual buildings/areas (not just a random cloud color) Also plan on created individual buildings in the middle of these areas, mostly important buildings of note really. But let me know what directions would be better! Thanks!

oh I had to dropped the resolution of the image to fit the attachment size. If a better resolution on the areas is needed let me know!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tyris4a.jpg 
Views:	102 
Size:	4.01 MB 
ID:	37771  
    Last edited by Yandor; 08-14-2011 at 05:39 AM.
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

So I woke up this morning and realized I could of done a much better job in separating the sections, then realized I'm an idiot, haha... I could of done the sections of housing much better (crisper edges) I shrunk the original patterns down and they got fuzzy edges which make the sections of houses look like garbage. I fixed up the patterns and colorized them so you can "judge them" better =D

1. Original Colored area to the South
    2. Red area just north of Colorized Area, is #5's pattern reduced to 85%
    3. Green Area is #5's pattern reduced to 75%
    4. Yellow Area is AidyBaby's Pattern reduced to 50%
    5. Blue Area, Original Pattern to create my housing sections.

I'm still undecided, I'm leaning more towards #2 or possibly #3... I'm thinking if I use #2 for most the city, and use #1 for Park areas, and less dense areas (remove some of the middle buildings )...

I realize it all comes down to scale, as it is my major flaw... So as I said any comments would be wonderful!

edit: #2 wasn't the right pattern (was the same as #5) so I fixed the image)

Name:	Tyris4c.jpg 
Views:	78 
Size:	3.47 MB 
ID:	37790  
    Last edited by Yandor; 08-14-2011 at 01:56 PM.
    Projects

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Well I played with the idea a bit more, I think I like this for a base, I probably will go through and clean up the funny edges on the buildings but I think I'm going to move forward on this idea...

Alright so image #1 (Tyris5a) is the original pattern and Image #2 is the adjusted portion of the same area. The Adjusted area is the idea of what I'm going to be doing with the rest of the building sections. (even the red houses on the south side I'll change over.) Mind you the adjusted area was done very quickly so some building sections (in the this area) weren't even touched from the original pattern....

Comments or Criticism is welcome!

Name:	Tyris5a.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	1.00 MB 
ID:	37821   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Tyris5b.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	1.01 MB 
ID:	37822  
    Projects

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like 2 there, the houses are a bit smaller thus the roads are a tad wider. Feels more "right" to me.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

So I took another stab at it, I shrunk them down a bit more, I almost think that the area now is a bit big for the amount of "buildings" that are inhabited (aka my 100,000 town went to 1,000,000... not really but thats the idea, and still don't know if its a good or bad thing)... Meh regardless I like progress, and good progress at that.

So with this image, we got the shrunk houses, cleaned up outskirt housing, shrunk the buildings and color of the buildings inside of the Stone Wall area (bottom left side) Also added in a plaza area to see how good the effects and stuff can be...

C&C would be appreciated!

Name:	Tyris6.jpg 
Views:	66 
Size:	2.07 MB 
ID:	37856  
    Projects

Looking great! Fab road network! I just wonder whether the castle wall might look better if you changed or reduced the size of the texture? Because the flagstones are all oriented NS/EW it looks a bit odd to my eye, but it's a very small thing.

Thanks Ravells, I'll touch those up!

So I was trying to calculate out the scale, what it comes down to from the Far West Wall of the palace, to the farthest Eastern edge of the city (straight line West to East, no diagonal) is about 7.5 or 7 1/2 miles, and from North to South its 9 miles... Is this even realistic for a Large City? I know in modern days its fine, but a fantasy Land...

Now that I've got the concept, Layer effects and process to recreate everything, would restructuring the entire city be a better idea? (better lay out really) I was thinking, of leaving the Stone walled areas, so the palace,prison and rich area, but redoing the entire outer layout.. Suggestions??

Edit: I calculated it from my Large world map, and Kingdom maps. So as I scaled up from my continent map, I got my kingdom scale, and then from kingdom I got my city scale. The image of Tyris is 5000x4000 px which is 16x13 miles (almost full image I showed here)
    Last edited by Yandor; 08-17-2011 at 06:20 PM.
    Projects

Alright so heres the new and improved Tyris, I think this is a much better version, but let me know!

Name:	Tyris7.jpg 
Views:	82 
Size:	4.13 MB 
ID:	37893  
    Projects

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast