Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: *** August 2011 Challenge - Map a Mountain location ***

Default *** August 2011 Challenge - Map a Mountain location ***

Apologies for this one coming in a little late.

Your mission, if you choose to accept it is to map a mountain top location such as an eyrie, an observatory, hall of the mountain giants, a mountain druids hide-away or just a simple mountain trail map.

Mountains must be prominently featured - you determine its alpine climate, the type of trees, the snowline, the treeline, whether its glacial or volcanic in erosion and creation.

Don't forget to follow the Mapping Challenge rules.

This challenge will end on or about 25th of August. The winner will get a shiny golden compass added to their profile.

Blog Entries

Heh LOL I might have a pop at this one with some MeDem tests were about to try out. We have decided to try to do some of the mountainous areas with real DEM mountains blended over the base DEM. So in the next few days / weeks I have a lot of mountains to do anyway. The plan is to make a 40K x 40K pix 3D mountain terrain DEM and then 3D texture it over the Middle Earth lands. Its a bit of a tall order so were gathering up some real tiles from the SRTM shuttle radar data and gonna write some code to try and stitch it all together. Bleh should be fun fun fun. Maybe the challenge dead line will kick my tush into getting something complete. Maybe I should try "The Lonely Mountain" as a test area since its gonna get pushed into the limelight at the end of 2013.

So all in all: As long as the map is about mountains or anything on/in/around/between mountains the challenge entry is valid?
    And is it okay to take part in both challenges?

@Redrobes - I read your post and I have to admit it confused me, but I got that you're about to come up with a giant 3D model of a mountain that looks like a real one.
    If I stare at the country long enough
    I can prise it off the paper,
    lift it like a flap of skin.
    - Moniza Alvi, 1993 -

I will enter, I will try, and I will probably be conquered, but dammit I will try! The only problem is I have no idea what I should do...

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

So all in all: As long as the map is about mountains or anything on/in/around/between mountains the challenge entry is valid?
    And is it okay to take part in both challenges?
    Hi Moe, yes, anything prominently featuring mountains is valid and yes, you can take part in both challenges.

You can be in both challenges until you win the lite three times or you win the big boy challenge once. Also, if you are chosen for a feature map you can no longer be in the Lite challenges.

So, bottom line you can always join in the main challenges. The lite has some stipulations.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Meh, I had no time for this

Blog Entries

Yeah Im waay behind with all the stuff I want to do so I dont think ill make it in time either.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I really wanted to get in this one, had an idea and a vision, just needed to do it then bang my pc died so I've been draggin my feet ever since. I'm starting to come out of my funk, though, so maybe I'll just do something sketchy-style.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

A little late on closing it?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast