Thread: August 2011 Entry - At the mountains of madness

Default August 2011 Entry - At the mountains of madness

Hello,
    although I'm certainly not of the caliber necessary to be up to the task, the idea of mapping Lovecrafts Mountains of madness is to alluring to pass up, so this is my hat and consider me in

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

sounds like an exiting thing to map - and don't worry about the "caliber" - we've had all kinds of maps win the challenge - sometimes the idea itself is enough to win it even if the execution is not up to par
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Quote Originally Posted by tilt View Post
    sounds like an exiting thing to map - and don't worry about the "caliber" - we've had all kinds of maps win the challenge - sometimes the idea itself is enough to win it even if the execution is not up to par
    Well, I will think about that and try my best. Thanks Tilt

As of this post I have collected some inspirational material, that you can found here, here and here. The first two images are from maps of the 1920's, the last one is a map from the Call of Cthulhu roleplaying campaign Beyond the Mountains of Madness that I scanned.

At this moment I plan to have the Miskatonic mountains as the centre piece along two sides of the map together with the plateau with the city of the elder things. The challenge will be to not have the city overpower the mountains visually, which I plan to do by using shadows, letting the city be close to the ground color of white while the mountains will be more greyish/blackish and perhaps by drawing routes through the mountains.

Next up, a light study and some preliminary sketching.

sounds good so far.
    Who is John Galt?