Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: WIP - Terra Nova

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Rivers you can't do much with since they're just too narrow to do anything meaningful with textures and the like. The best you can hope for is to make them not blend in too much or stick out too much. If you go and do up a bunch of texturing on the ocean I think that will overpower the map and be distracting. We want to keep the eyes on the land and not the ocean. If you have access to it you might try watching something called The Color of War on the military channel, it's an American channel but you may be able to find it on the web. Particularly, look at the maps they use there...they're like this (to some extent) with a big empty light blue ocean and textured land.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Thanks for the replies.

Somehow I am experiencing a problem with the forum. It says that Ascension replied to this post yesterday, but if I want to read the comment it doesn't appear. I can read the first part of the reply if I look at Ascensions recent posts, but it doesnt appear in my post. strange... Does anybody know what's going on here?

Never mind. I can see it now. Somehow the second page of this thread magicly appeared where it wasn't before.

Thanks for the tips Ascension! But I think I will still do some light texturing on the water. This is a map for a civilisation based heavily on trade by ships. So the ocean is very important for them.
    Last edited by Len Wolff; 08-26-2011 at 04:03 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Ah, well then the bathymetry, ocean currents, and wind currents would be important. Bathymetry is the lay of the land under the water - sunken islands, young volcanoes, deep trenches, continental shelf, and stuff like that.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

@Ascension: I didn't plan to do that much work on the water now. I have got some ideas for a seamap of this continent, including bathymetry (as I now know it is called ) and traderoutes.

I had a rush of inspiration for the title yesterday and I worked on the water and some other minor adjustments. Still can't find a nice texture that I can use or modify for the prairie. Also a bit lost for inspiration with the map symbols. I like the style of Westeros by Tear.

Here is my new WIP:

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KNN_WIP_01.jpg 
Views:	76 
Size:	501.4 KB 
ID:	38103

I think this is the Last WIP. I feel like this map is almost finished. But I was hoping to get some good last tips from all of you, before I add the last details. This is the same resolution as the finished map, so it's a pretty large file.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	KNN_WIP_02.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	2.06 MB 
ID:	38148

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looks really good Len Wolff, nice warm colors. The land is very lush, perhaps some more yellow patches here and there, unless of course the land is covered by grass all over
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I like your mountains and forests. They look really awesome! Are deserts also planned?

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12