Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Montage Query

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by icosahedron View Post
    No worries, Redrobes, I haven't had time to read this board since the weekend anyway.

Isn't 2048 x 2048 going to distort the map sections, making them square? I know it won't, cos you'll have that all figured out, but I'm just curious about how it works.

I could convert the images from jpg to png using Gimp if that helps...

Agh! you've brought up a potential problem there with the XY numbering. Right now they run alternate numbers, so 2,4,6...20 form the ten top row images and 3,5,7...21 form the next row, etc. That probably means I'd have to re-number the files before importing them, yes?

Yes, still on the old address.
    The images will be square but as you know when it prints out the icons in the app the size of them are independent of the image used. So they will be stretched back to the right aspect - in fact stretched such that the pixel size is real scale. Yes it will be 2/3 res in X. I don't think you will notice much difference. The app could do them full res but it would need each tile breaking into 4 and then assembling all the sub tiles as well. Its a bit tricky.

The numbering order is no problem - I just need to know what it is tho. So its like this:

2 4 6 8 10 12 14 16 18 20
    3 5 7 9 11 13 15 17 19 21
    22 24 26 28 30 32 34 36 38 40
    23 25 27 29 31 33 35 37 39 41
    42 44................................

You have said there are 90 tiles from "A2Z0002.vmi to A2Z0081.vmi" which is of course 80 of them. So is the last line of the grid would be...

................................ 59 61
    62 64 66 68 70 72 74 76 78 80
    63 65 67 69 71 73 75 77 79 81

And ill give you an app which will convert them from JPG so no worries about the conversion in Gimp.

If you can OK the numbering then I think I have enough to do it.
    Last edited by Redrobes; 08-17-2011 at 05:30 AM.

Blog Entries

Ok, written - ill send you the file. Let me know how it goes - post some screenies if it works out ok. If I were you, I would make a back up of the JPG files before you start all of this. A writable DVD would be enough or a flash pen drive or something.

You should see the batch file running executing commands until its finished. Just run up VDale, load Ogilby.txt and then WAIT for a while as it makes 90 large temp files. It could take a few mins and it will look like its crashed but it will get there. You only get this kind of thing when you have a large tiled array to make up. Once you have all the tiles in there and you can zoom about as usual, you can use the screen save option and it should work out ok. For a certain level of res it should cope but it does use a lot of RAM if going high res. There was a lot of care gone into that area to keep the RAM down but there is a limit for large files that cant be worked around. See how high you can take it.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12