Thread: 6-meter video globe

Default 6-meter video globe

Mitsubishi updated an existing LED globe with one six meters across, about ten million pixels overall. At the National Museum of Emerging Science & Innovation in Tokyo, this awesome display can be programmed as a live (-ish) satellite view, or any number of topical maps.

I'd fantasize about having one, only even in a dream my kids would probably be wrestling and stick an elbow through Madagascar....

Damn, that's awesome. Imagine you have one of those in your living room and it displays your own home-brewed world.
    Thanks for sharing the link
    If I stare at the country long enough
    I can prise it off the paper,
    lift it like a flap of skin.
    - Moniza Alvi, 1993 -

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looks damn good - a little big for my living room though *lol*
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Blog Entries

Awesome ! But I cant help but think that within the space they had then a load of high res projectors on the gantries could have done that much easier and without the tile gaps. I was watching a youtube vid the other day about some new planetarium that's opened with a ludicrous res projector set running and that was well awesome as well.

Here:
    http://www.geek.com/articles/chips/a...help-20110711/
    Last edited by Redrobes; 08-13-2011 at 07:48 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Neat stuff...
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

@Redrobes - yeah, one could probably get an order of magnitude more pixels for an order of magnitude less money, with projectors. But Mitsubishi makes the OLED displays, so the "gift" to the museum is also advertising :-). They offer modular units that can be connected into arbitrarily large arrays - though typically flat ones - like for stadium/arena overhead screens.

Personally, I want to see an array set up as a floor. With shoes that are ignored and gloves that it senses as a multi-touch display controllers, wouldn't a basketball-court size array make an awesome gaming platform? Which would incidentally create a market for us digital cartographers to produce gazillion-pixel satellite-type maps :-)....

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I want one but I don't think my pc could handle the resolution or size necessary. But dang cool.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps