Thread: Non-Copyrighted/Free-Licensed Old World Maps (for commercial use)?

Default Non-Copyrighted/Free-Licensed Old World Maps (for commercial use)?

Hey guys! It's been awhile.

Long story short - I've been commissioned for a fantasy cartography project! I'm very excited about it and can't wait to show off the finished work here. However, this isn't what this post is about (though I'll be more than happy to talk about it later in the thread).

The publisher I've been commissioned by has another project going on that needs an authentic old-world map that is non-copyrighted (or no longer copyrighted), royalty-free, and/or licensed freely for commercial use.

Here's the specific details I've been given:

- It is for a small art project that would be for sale, so it cant be anything trademarked.
    - Legitimate old world maps would be best, but the need to have the modern world on it.
    - Nothing Pre-Columbian, and the new world and Japan should be on there.
    - Something 1800's or 1900's into the early 20th century might be best.

This project came up in casual conversation and I offered to do the leg work. I did a quick search but couldn't find anything (though it is past midnight and I'm exhausted, so I may have missed it if the answer has been posted before - please forgive my redundancy if this happens to be the case).

Any help in the right direction would be indescribably appreciated.
    Last edited by Auth; 08-14-2011 at 03:25 AM. Reason: spelling

The very top stickied thread in the Reference Material forum is a collection of online map libraries, many of which include maps that are old enough to be in the public domain.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

This is exactly why I shouldn't be allowed on the internet late at night. Thank you!

lol. I hear ya! I have a bad case of sticky thread blindness. My eyes just skip over the stickies for some reason, and I often don't even realize they're there unless I remind myself to look for them. It's probably a side effect of training myself to ignore ads.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name