Thread: The Watchfire Keep - Map Pack and 3D Model

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Community Leader Facebook Connected torstan's Avatar

Default The Watchfire Keep - Map Pack and 3D Model

This month sees the release of a map from the back pages of this month's Kobold Quarterly: The Watchfire Keep

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	WatchtowerKeepWeb.jpg 
Views:	2029 
Size:	171.0 KB 
ID:	37813

This accompanies an adventure in the magazine "Who Watches the Watchfires" set in Open Design's world of Midgard, and written by myself.

My plan was to create a simple, well defended Keep that could be used for a castle assault, or for adventurers to hold against the dark forces. The double gate on the entrance, crenellated walls and single wall over the steep cliff offer a selection of approaches and challenges to an invading force. As well as it's appearance in Kobold Quarterly, the Keep has spawned two products:

Watchfire Keep Map Pack

Name:	CoverWeb.jpg 
Views:	806 
Size:	219.0 KB 
ID:	37812

The map pack of the keep (available here on RPGNow and on Paizo) contains versions that allow you to use this in any type of game:
    • Multipage pdf for printing at home for tabletop use, in both international A4 and US letter format, in colour and printer friendly greyscale
    • High resolution jpgs with and without grid for use in VTTs or for poster printing
    • Maptool campaign file with vision and light implemented for quick use in OGL, Pathfinder or 4E games.

This could be a watchfire that provides a critical warning for an unsuspecting city or the starting keep for your players when they get their first castle. At $2.99 it'll be the cheapest first home purchase they'll ever consider.

Fold-n-Go Castle Kit #1

Inspired by the Watchfire Keep, I teemed up with Brian Bartlow of Lone Tree Games and I challenged him to create a glueless modular castle kit that would be able to recreate the Watchfire Keep in glorious 3D. I'd say he succeeded!

Name:	castle1.jpg 
Views:	2170 
Size:	259.8 KB 
ID:	37814 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CoverCastleKitWeb.jpg 
Views:	495 
Size:	132.6 KB 
ID:	37815

The kit is a pdf pack of textured parts that can be cut out and folded together to create modular sections of a castle. With walls, towers, staircases, gate, houses and a working portcullis you have everything you could possibly want for your inaugural fort. You can even build published keeps for your players to explore!

The kit is available on RPGNow and Paizo.

You can read more about this on my blog.
    Last edited by torstan; 08-15-2011 at 10:34 AM.