Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 1886 Map of Auralia

Guild Apprentice

Wip 1886 Map of Auralia

Last year I made a touring map of Auralia. I found an 19th century map of an area which is very similar to that corner of Auralia.
    I now wish to use my modern Auralia map to faithfully reconstruct a map of the same area as it might have looked in 1886.
    The inset map is of Australia , South Western Victoria. In fact I live in the lower right hand corner.
    The map got my interest because so much has changed in over a hundred years. A lot of places are no longer there, names have changed and most of the railways have gone.
    The different coloured sections are old shires, some of which no longer exist or have merged with other shires.

Australian map --------------Last Years Auralia Map ------ My work in progress

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	ScreenHunter_01 Aug. 14 22.12.jpg 
Views:	146 
Size:	232.2 KB 
ID:	37829 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Final auraliacut.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	122.0 KB 
ID:	37830 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	interim shot.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	60.9 KB 
ID:	37831

I welcome any help and criticism.

Cheers Surveyor

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

a bit early for constructive criticism as yet, but i like what you're trying to do.

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Guild Apprentice

Wip

I have done some more research and it now seems that halftone mapping techniques would be very unlikely to have been used as early as 1886.
    Yet the moire pattern from the supposedly original map very much suggested this to be the case, so I suspect that my old map may be a later halftone reprint of the original map. I spent many hours trying to emulate the halftone colours with a combination of the newsprint filter and various overlayed colours. (I am using Gimp). I found this a very difficult task. I tried also in PS but found the halftone filter there to be very limited. Enlarging the inset shows the simulated halftone attempt.
    Here is a progress report for your criticism and comment.

Name:	wip.jpg 
Views:	90 
Size:	139.0 KB 
ID:	37917

Not sure if this will help, but there is a second way of getting a halftone effect in PS. If you turn the drawing into a bitmap (image/mode/bitmap), you may have to go grayscale first to get the bitmap option to become active, it opens up more halftone choices (but obviously in pure black and white only), but you can make the b/w halftone image a new layer over your colour one and use a multiply blend and play with the opacity.

Guild Apprentice

Quote Originally Posted by ravells View Post
    Not sure if this will help, but there is a second way of getting a halftone effect in PS. If you turn the drawing into a bitmap (image/mode/bitmap), you may have to go grayscale first to get the bitmap option to become active, it opens up more halftone choices (but obviously in pure black and white only), but you can make the b/w halftone image a new layer over your colour one and use a multiply blend and play with the opacity.
    Thank You , I wish I had known about your method. I will definitely give that a try later. I think I am too far into this to start again. I find that the help files for Ps very complicated and confusing.
    Cheers Surveyor

Guild Apprentice

Wip

Ravells, I played with both Ps and Gimp and I came up with this. Still done with Gimp. starting to put in detail.

Name:	auralia putting inmountains.jpg 
Views:	103 
Size:	275.1 KB 
ID:	37973

That looks pretty good! It's hard to tell what sort of half tone process was used on the original map because of the resolution, but on my monitor anyway you've got very close.

Guild Apprentice

Ok , I think I have done as much as I can. I am reasonably pleased with what I tried to achieve, but I feel that I failed to make it an interesting map.
    In the end it was a blend of Gimp and Ps . It is great that Gimp can save and read PSD files. This enabled me to make and use Hose brushes in Gimp utilise Ps.'s use of layer groups and other stuff.

Name:	Aurelliaolddone.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	875.8 KB 
ID:	38173

Professional Artist Facebook Connected Coyotemax's Avatar

yow, that looks it was scanned from one of the atlases I used back in grade school

My finished maps
    "...sometimes the most efficient way to make something look drawn by hand is to simply draw it by hand..."

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Yeah, kudos for authenticity.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast