Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Merridia

What part of the fields are tedious? I had a thought (if it has to do with the trees lining the fields) make the fields, get a selection of them, expand the selection by x amount (depends on what you want), then save the selection as a work path, use your brush you made for the trees, but put a small scatter on it, then stroke the path on your tree layer, and go back and erase bits you don't want or need... I'm not sure of your process with the fields themselves but that may help you out, if not something that might be usable somewhere else!

Oh and it looks great, almost makes me want to do my city in the same style...
    Last edited by Yandor; 08-19-2011 at 04:40 PM.
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Sorry Moe, I forgot to answer your question yesterday:
    No, I don't know exactly how many buildings I have. But I came to the conclusion that it won't be too far from the 20,000 to 45,000 inhabitants which were my goal After a rough estimation I'd say i drew about 6000 buildings.

Thank you, Yandor, but I don't think that would help - great idea, though, maybe I can use it nex time! I first draw the trees (just a stroke, as I use scattering etc.) and then fill the gaps with varying colors. It's just so boring doing it over and over again
    Last edited by Schattenherz; 08-20-2011 at 04:21 AM.
    Fantastische Kartographie - illustrations & maps by Schattenherz | DeviantArt | Drachenblut - german RPG board & world

Can you make a pattern filled with the various colors, and use the stroke + the pattern? I'm all for the lazy mans way (maybe thats why I'm struggling... to get things right...) but in this way you got the scattered color, and the stroke. If needs be fill the layer with the pattern, and then use a layer mask to bring in your trees with the stroke... just fruit for thought =D
    Projects
    WIP :: Carian Round... Who knows...

Back Burner :: World Map

Software: 99% Adobe Photoshop (CS4), Geo Control 2, Wilbur Every so often I use another program!

Looks really good so far, Schattenherz!
    Keep it going

>Moe
    If I stare at the country long enough
    I can prise it off the paper,
    lift it like a flap of skin.
    - Moniza Alvi, 1993 -

I think that would be the solution if I had a far bigger area to fill (and I'll keep that it in mind!), but I want to place the fields individually in relation to buildings, roads and other things. So I suppose I have to stick with the tedious work, but I promise not to complain again I'm nearly finished anyway.
    Fantastische Kartographie - illustrations & maps by Schattenherz | DeviantArt | Drachenblut - german RPG board & world

Just a quick snapshot: Brought some life to Merridias streets (and meadows...)
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	merridia_02c.jpg 
Views:	116 
Size:	54.6 KB 
ID:	37979

I don't think this map will ever be finished, but I decided to end working on it in the near future Here's my nearly final result.
    Anything I missed, things to fix, ideas to make something look better? I would be grateful for any suggestions

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	merridia_06_stadt.jpg 
Views:	156 
Size:	1.31 MB 
ID:	38030 Click image for larger version. 

Name:	merridia_06_1500.jpg 
Views:	118 
Size:	518.7 KB 
ID:	38031

Guild Adept

Your work looks wonderful. I have just a little doubt about the proportion of buildings. Either the biggest one are truly enormous or many of the houses in the "lower" city are the size of a small room. For example the big greish building in the north (in the "castle") is 132 pixel wide (in the close-up view), while the small houses may be less than 10*5 pixels, and there are many of them. So if 1px 1 m, the houses may be very small, but if 1 px = 2m or more, the major building are very big, perhaps too much for a city of 40k inhabitants. On the same score, some parts of the walls appear very thick, but this could be intentional.

You really must finish it. Incredible work.
    M

Thanks for your comment
    Mh... maybe I could go back and make some of the buildings bigger... I really have to admit that I haven't paid much attention to some size issues.
    The scale of the close-up view is indeed 1px = 1m. You're absolutely right then, some of the buildings are very small, even smaller than 10*5m. I'm thinking about whether this is really not plausible. Even 5*5m are a not overly small room in which I could imagine a hearth, maybe a table and some places to sleep; if the building has more than one floor it would be as big as my flat So enough to live in for a family. Especially as buildings of that size are mainly in the poorer quarters of the city.
    The buildings which are smaller than that could be sheds, kitchens outside of the main building orbuilding extensions of some sort.
    Does that sound convincing? Nevertheless I'll check the sizes and may make some of the buildings in the northern part of Merridia bigger... that's no great deal.
    I'll also do some research on city walls

Thank you, too, mearrin69

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast