Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: City Attempt: Iramir

Guild Adept

Quote Originally Posted by Sapiento View Post
    I had thought so. I still have to find a way to make coloring with this technique easier, too.
    By the way, since I see that you use photoshop, perhaps you could help me with a tiny problem. That is, when I have a little square (house) of one colour, and then apply a texture to it with the filler, most often than not PS leaves me with a slighty enlarged house. This may have to do with anti-aliasing perhaps, but is there a way of avoiding it (if you ever encountered the same problem).
    Thanks.

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by feanaaro View Post
    By the way, since I see that you use photoshop, perhaps you could help me with a tiny problem. That is, when I have a little square (house) of one colour, and then apply a texture to it with the filler, most often than not PS leaves me with a slighty enlarged house. This may have to do with anti-aliasing perhaps, but is there a way of avoiding it (if you ever encountered the same problem).
    Thanks.
    I would say that is indeed an effect of anti-aliasing. You could of course contract the selection by one pixel, but this can result in a pixelated edge of the house. A possible way to avoid this could be to duplicate the layer and add the texture as a layer effect. Then you have to erase all rectangles you don't need. That's just a quick idea, but it could work.

Guild Adept

Quote Originally Posted by Sapiento View Post
    I would say that is indeed an effect of anti-aliasing. You could of course contract the selection by one pixel, but this can result in a pixelated edge of the house. A possible way to avoid this could be to duplicate the layer and add the texture as a layer effect. Then you have to erase all rectangles you don't need. That's just a quick idea, but it could work.
    In this way would not I had to have a layer per each texture? That could be too much for my macbook.

Guild Adept

Trying to re-do it bigger and (hopefully) better.
    Do not laugh on me but I just discovered how to scatter a brush, thanks' to Ascension's quick town tutorial (but this is not being really quick), this should help in obtaining a more organic look. Now I am basically doing the reverse than before, first filling with random buildings, then regolarise it by hand. Much more time consuming, but perhaps the result is better.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Iramir2.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	1.36 MB 
ID:	38113

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like it so far but I think it needs more buildings to make it "feel" like a city - this feels like a town to to me due to the number of buildings. I really dig the cliffs.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Adept

Do you mean more buildings in the whole city, or more buildings for a given area (more density)?
    However I have still to fill the ring, add other external quarters and some notable buildings etc.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

If there buildings outside the main wall then disregard what I said for now.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Guild Adept

Some progress. Now the problem is that, while adding some more sings of the cataclism which twisted the land and wiped out the "precursors", I am growing the insane idea of doubling the mapping, before and after. That would be a terrible terrible thing to do.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Iramir2.jpg 
Views:	54 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	38139

Terrible things are often the best things to do :-)
    The map looks great by the way.
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

Nice map, I like the design and layout of the city. One thing, it seems that there should be buildings outside the city wall, and there should be fields all around it too to supply food for the city.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast