Thread: First Map On These Boards

Default First Map On These Boards

Hey y'all, I'm still not quite sure where this would go, but I've somehow found time in my hectic schedule to make a fantasy may using the excellent crystallization tut on these boards. Using only Paint.NET, this is about as far as I can get with my current skill.

Of course, the purpose of this post is to receive criticism (hopefully none too harsh though)!

Background info: There's a fantasy Roman-like empire in the west complete with faux-Latin and several Germanic-esque tribes to the east. Also, there's an Oriental-ish colony established on the big island. Basic history/fantasy mash-up.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Eusteraria.png 
Views:	103 
Size:	475.3 KB 
ID:	38112  
    Last edited by Kantein; 08-28-2011 at 06:15 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I like it, interesting color scheme.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

looks good - I wonder about the colors though - for instance, what does the orange represent?
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

The orange is simply reddened parts of the geography. If you notice, the entire empire is covered with a reddish-orange overlay, making it easier for the viewer to immediately tell where the boundaries of the empire are.

Blog Entries

You've got some issues with contrast making it rather hard to read. It's hard to figure out where the coastline is, and what all the colours mean, or even if they mean anything or are just decorative. A lot of the text is also quite hard to read. Try lightening it up and putting a line along the coast. Be sure you have a clear idea of which features you want to present in your map and try to ensure that they are clear.

The straight borders don't feel very fantasy, you might be better off with squigglier borders following natural boundaries or just do away with borders entirely and just rely on the labels.
    Last edited by Hai-Etlik; 08-29-2011 at 06:20 AM.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

if the orange is part of the geography, then why is it cut of at the border - thats a very straight line for a geographical element. However, if you use the orange to show where the borders go - I'd rather make a soft glow on the inside of the border, all the way round - that would make it clearer
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise