Thread: Dead space?

Guild Novice

Default Dead space?

I've got a map that I'm chugging through today (for a tomorrow fair entry deadline, whoops. >.<) and since I'm just making it up as I go I've got a lot of dead space on my landmass that I can't fill. I know that unpopulated areas are common (or were at least) but how much dead space do you think is acceptable? Do you do anything to try and fill it?

Just make it look pretty and natural.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

My rule of thumb is "when in doubt put some trees there". Trees cover a lot of our earth so a few more trees won't bother anyone.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

If you're really stuck throw in some random text, doesn't have to be labels if could just be an ancient dead language to try and add some extra flavour to your map.

-D-
    People come and people go. I walk amongst them, I see their faces; but none see mine. I pass them in the streets but nary a glance is spared my way, for what interest would they have in a Wanderer? Not of this world... Forever Alone... Forever Wandering... LoneWandererD...

My DeviantART

Finished Maps

RIP Angel "Ingy" Yates - The first inspiration that guided me towards art. You will be missed...

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

If it's a fantasy/medieval map, you could use those little monster pictures people used to put in for decoration.

Or the cartographer could sell that valuable blank space for advertising.