Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Greenwall Redux

Great work! I think this turned out very well. Very, very well.

Are you done with it, or thinking you will tweak and play some more?
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Thanks,

I decided to play around with some layer styles in photoshop (a concept new to me) and this is what I came up with. I think it's a slight improvement.

What do you guys think the population of a settlement like this would be?
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Greenwall - Stylized.jpg 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.27 MB 
ID:	2579  

I would estimate somewhere in and around 10,000 adults or so. Not including transient populations, children, outlying farms, etc.

The Castle itself, would easily house 4-500 soldiers alone (archers, infantry, cavalry), plus their support staff (pages, cooks, skullery maids, stablehands, smiths, carpenters, etc)

Again, this is just my own guesstimations, nothing concrete.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Thanks,

that was roughly about what I was thinking, but just wanted to make sure I wasn't way off base.

What do you guys think the population of a settlement like this would be?
    What is the scale of the map? - I like the new sheet effects, but I think in this instance the added background noise is too much. Perhaps have a play with that and make it more subtle, smaller blobs for the ground (but the trees look superb for it)? Just a thought, but I think it's really just a matter of individual taste. I really like the inner glow thing you've got going with the buildings too.

I think you may be right; I've decreased the noise a touch. I've also added a version with numbering for DM reference.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Greenwall - Stylized.png 
Views:	60 
Size:	2.23 MB 
ID:	2589   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Greenwall - Stylized with numbers.png 
Views:	107 
Size:	2.26 MB 
ID:	2590  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

You used color ink as well? I know that seems like a stupid question, but I was making sure you didn't photoshop it after you inked it... if so, where do you get your inks for your tech pens? I love the colors

No, the colour was all done in photoshop. I just inked the pencil drawing with a black staedtler pigment liner; nothing fancy.

I think 10,000 might be a little high for the total population. It looks like there are about 400 buildings here. Now some of the smaller buildings outside of the city would be granaries or barns, and some of the ones inside the city would be offices and warehouses, and not dwellings. Of course, within a couple of miles of the city there would be an equal population living in smaller farming villages and homesteads.

I would put the population at about 4-5,000, and as for the military, I would put the garrison at about 200 regular troops with another 200 as town guard/militia, and maybe another 300 that can be called up as auxiliaries.

Realistically, the cost of maintaining a large standing army is quite burdensome, so, unless the city is a fairly important border city (which it doesn't seem to be due to the fact that the walls are in such disrepair)

I really like the way this turned out!

The coloring is awesome, and the effects you added really make it pop!

I have one complaint, and one question for you though.

Complaint: The effect you used on the road, judging from the scale of the map, makes it look like the road is sunken in about 10-20 ft! Not really anything to worry about, but just something my brain picked up.

Question: Where is the Graveyard? Assuming that the city has 10,000+ inhabintants, there should be a VERY large graveyard somewhere.

Compliments: Excellent use of color and most effects. Distribution of building is very well done. Important stuctures are varied in shape and size, for easy remembering for people like me.

Overall I'd say this is really well done. Something I would use in my game for sure!
    The pen is truly mightier then the sword, for with one quick stroke, a pen can kill your drawing; but the sword takes a couple hits before you drop it into negitive HP.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast