Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Greenwall Redux

Thanks,

the shadow effect on the road probably is a bit much; I think I'll tone it down. The cemetery is actually the fenced in area north of town (area 39). The structures are mausoleums.

The town was originally built as a military base along a highway that was a major trading route. The wild elves from the Acacian woodlands used to raid caravans and thus the keep at Greenwall was built. The farmers and other citizens of the area naturally flocked to the protection of the fort and a town wall was built.
    Since those times a treaty with the elves was signed and the need for military protection wanned. Thus as the town prospered from increased trading along the highway, the need for the standing army and wall evaporated.
    Greenwall is now ruled by a bored baron who wishes for the glory days when his domain mattered militarily. He maintains his oversized keep and a standing army (one that's size and cost isn't justified), but the people have no need for the wall and it has crumbled in disrepair over the years being cannibalized for its stone. The crumbling moss-covered wall stands as a testament to an older age.

Guild Journeyer

One issue with your numbered version.

Your numbers are randomly ordered.

Starting in the middle, it goes right, then up and stops suddenly before jumping. Rather hard to quickly find a number if you need it to figure out where a known building description is. It is fine for Map to Key, but Key to Map is annoyingly hard if you haven't studied it before.

I would go with an order like (using the position you have marked now)
    1 2 10 3 6 7 8 9 29 30 31 33 32 5 34 4 35 36 44 37 42 38 11 12 14 43 14 15 16 17 ...

And I'm sure you get the idea. Find a way to have the numbers in order snake around. That, or start at the top left, and scan down, The higher and closer to the left it is, the lower the digit. (Maybe small exceptions like the areas around 20, 21, 22, etc, the ones that make a nice line like that, number in order, left to right, even if a righter building is higher than one on the left)

Other than the numbering, I really like that map. Nice simple town, not sure I would call it a city. Have you thought about expanding the map space a little, build up a few denser pockets around the outside of the walls?

I like the background that you have developed. It has a lot of character, and the map itself looks very good!

Quote Originally Posted by Talroth View Post
    Other than the numbering, I really like that map. Nice simple town, not sure I would call it a city. Have you thought about expanding the map space a little, build up a few denser pockets around the outside of the walls?
    Thanks; yeah the numbering was done pretty haphazardly. I will be sure to correct that in future maps. Also, the settlement is really more a town than a city. I'm pretty happy with it without expanding on it.

Quote Originally Posted by landorl View Post
    I like the background that you have developed. It has a lot of character, and the map itself looks very good!
    Thanks

Guild Journeyer

~8,000 - how many buildings are there? This is a wonderful map!

Thank you

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123