Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: August/September challenge entry - Underdark Series: Abandoned Mushroom Garden

Default August/September challenge entry - Underdark Series: Abandoned Mushroom Garden

Everyone else will have an above ground entry again so I figure why not be different. Truth is as a DM my grounds tend to be underground quite a bit and there just isn't a huge source of maps, especially of any quality or uniqueness. So I design maps that I can use in a game as well as any other DM for that matter.

Under the ground things can go left and forgotten for quite a while, especially since most things hide their abodes. Once a person dies it can go decades before being disturbed. It is also important to point out that one of the most common underground plants would probably be fungi and it is a editable food source as well.

This morning I got the base of the map underway, then went out and took some pictures that I am going to use on the map. Found some pretty decent plant pictures which will make their way on on the map plus found an some interesting brood holes. I think given that the place is abandoned at this point could add nice feature to the small cavern.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Underdark Series (8x8) Abandoned Mushroom Garden WIP1.jpg 
Views:	392 
Size:	1.38 MB 
ID:	37891

Hey now.. If we're talking about series your gonna make me put the Celestial Skayan Garden in this contest!

Finished up with the mushrooms I am adding, also added an additional fungi specie just to give some flavor. Next are the brood holes and a natural crystal structure, then can start working on the shading of the fungi and actual ground of the chamber.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Underdark Series (8x8) Abandoned Mushroom Garden WIP2.jpg 
Views:	297 
Size:	1.39 MB 
ID:	37955

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

hehe.. great idea
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

I remember seeing a map that had amazing fungi that could help you.. But sadly I forgot.

Quote Originally Posted by eViLe_eAgLe View Post
    I remember seeing a map that had amazing fungi that could help you.. But sadly I forgot.
    Next spring I am going to take advantage of the ton of mushrooms that grow wild around here.. sadly in the middle of summer with the temps we have had I have a limited selection but still working with it. As I learned last time, shading will be just as important as the rest of the map.

Finally got a little time to put into this morning, still have some work to do though.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Underdark Series (8x8) Abandoned Mushroom Garden WIP3.jpg 
Views:	29040 
Size:	1.37 MB 
ID:	38142

Looks really good so far. I like the mushrooms. Maybe some in the way towards the cave, too? Or some vines or ooze on the walls?

Quote Originally Posted by Candacis View Post
    Looks really good so far. I like the mushrooms. Maybe some in the way towards the cave, too? Or some vines or ooze on the walls?
    I did plan on adding some more once I took a look at how the growth pattern seemed to be going, vines wouldn't fit in to what I had imagined drawing (depth of the cave itself) and I tried figuring out how to draw ooze or something similar and it all looked wrong. What can I say, I am learning

Took a bit of work but finally got the light coming from the natural crystals to finally get to what I had envisioned, also did a bit more work on the mushrooms.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	Underdark Series (8x8) Abandoned Mushroom Garden WIP4.jpg 
Views:	1553 
Size:	1.32 MB 
ID:	38151

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

maybe you should have the crystal light up some more... so brightening the corner some more and making some blue soft light on the nearby mushrooms.
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast