Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Muddle's random map generator

Default Muddle's random map generator

Greetings all,
    it's been forever since my last post. Finally after a long hiatus i have been able to spend a little time on map related projects. So here's a link to my random geomorph dungeon generator I have been working on.

http://picastudio.com/random/geomorphs.php

eventually I am think of combining this map generator with the dungeon room namer I built a while back:

http://picastudio.com/random/dungeons.php

would love to hear your thoughts, I know there are lots of these map and generators out there, but hopefully this one has its own merit too.

muddle

Very nice. A few too many pillars for my tastes, but that's subjective. I was a little surprised to notice that you didn't keep everything connected. In most maps I looked at, there are at least a couple spots where two tiles connect to each other and nothing else. I think I'd like more tiles that were mostly, but not completely empty space, too, but I can't be sure of that unless I try it. Right now it looks just a bit too busy for me. One more thing... A dark background for the non-map portions would probably make things stand out alot better.

Still, all in all it looks great!

Yes, i do agree with your feedback. I do like pillars, but because this was a simple test to see if the javascript code would even work I only added the minimum number of geomorphs, and most of those had pillars, so if I add more pillarless geomorphs it should even things out a bit. The disconnected rooms are generated by the formula I concocted to randomly assemble geomorphs. the formula is simple, and those disconnects are the "mistakes" in the formula. All the tiles are simply pencil sketches that were scanned, I am thinking that I would replace the tile sketches with more completed pixel-art style tiles. I am thinking of something that falls somewhere inbetween old-school video game rpg tiles and the tabletop rpg top-down perspective tiles and game-mats. attached is a completely unfinished example. I know this is all kinda goofy, but I am having fun not taking things to seriously. hence the pixel graphics approach.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Screen shot 2011-08-21 at 12.26.41 PM.png 
Views:	688 
Size:	41.6 KB 
ID:	37937  

you need more 'morphs, but you know that. love the pixelart style.
    >>< drow ><<

more pixel art style work... yes, more geomorphs soon hopefully

Name:	Screen shot 2011-08-23 at 4.43.18 PM.png 
Views:	1306 
Size:	151.2 KB 
ID:	38012  

Default updated geomorph

still working on this. here is the first geomorph with nearly finished pixel art. to the right in the small white box is the original scanned pencil sketch.

Name:	pixel-dungeon-2.jpg 
Views:	3375 
Size:	176.8 KB 
ID:	38085  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

Looks nice, man. The color shifts on the floor tiles are very important to keep it all from looking monotonous, so good job there.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

All,
    I have been working some more on this project and started to think about caves and caverns. Obviously cave walls are different than stonework walls. So I took a bit of a different approach to them. The attachment shows examples of both the Cavern walls and the dungeon stonework walls I am experimenting with. My question is: Do these work together ?(i.e. would they look out of place if shown on one map with both standard dungeon rooms and a few caverns as well? ) Your feedback is much appreciated!

Name:	Cave-walls-vs-Dungeon-Walls.jpg 
Views:	3067 
Size:	321.6 KB 
ID:	38183  

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The hues, tones, and linework have to be similar for it to work and I think these work great. Soooo...good job there, mate.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I think the true test would be too see how well they connect. Maybe if you could do up a cave that has only partly be smoothed other with stonework.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast