Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: laying a monitor on it's back?

Default laying a monitor on it's back?

Anyone know if there is any issues with laying an LCD monitor flat on it's back...so long as you don't block up the vents of course?

I've recently been given an HP w2408h HDMI and was thinking about using it for a VTT next time I have friends over. I would put a sheet of glass over the face of it so as not to destroy the surface of the screen as well.

I can always try it....was free after all
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

I couldn't find anything on Google regarding it being bad. As long as you protect it with a sheet of glass or something similar you should be fine. I remember seeing monitors laid flat inside of those desks you look down on but IIRC they were CRTs.

I'm such a dough-head: Upon messing with it I realize that the stand it comes on actually allows you to maneuver it so that it is facing straight up....all I need now is the clear sheet to protect it and I'm cooking with gas!!! Woot!
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

DON"T put anything covering the glass directly!!!! you need some buffer space and preferably with some airflow to help redistribute the heat.. remember... heat rises... so the top is going to get hot...
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Hmm...well there is a gap between the actual LCD and the "frame" it sits in. In other words, if I placed a piece of plexi glass on top it would leave about 1/8 inch but I don't think there would be much air flow since the case or frame is pretty flat as well.

I'm sure some heat escapes through the face of a monitor but doesn't most of it go out the sides and back where all the vent slots are?

Yea.. but where does that heat go when the heat when the back is down???? seriously... several people have done this over on the MapTool forum, so trust me on this.... of course, it may also be the difference between a larger LCD TV monitor vs a smaller plain computer monitor.... but typically, people have put a spacer of about 1/2 inch or so to keep the plexi above as well as some fans to move the air around(like say.. computer cooling fans)
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

ok...or maybe I'll just drop the minis altogether. I'm thinking 1/2 inch hovering above the actual map surface might look funky unless you are standing directly over the top.

On a side note, I just had a fun time with a "DVI - Out of range" message trying to set up dual monitors for the first time....Yay. I'm going to have to go find out how to do this right.

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

sounds like a cool project - show some pics of the setup when you're done
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The glass you get is important in case it breaks. There are 3 kinds: 1-annealed (regular old plate glass that breaks up into big chunks), 2- tempered (breaks up into millions of little chunks), 3- laminated (actually 2 pieces with a layer of double-back clear tape between so when it breaks the chunks stick to the tape like in car windshields). The next thing to consider is weight so if the size if pretty big then you might want to go with thinner glass like 1/16" or 1/8". If weight doesn't matter then 3/16" or 1/4" is fine and 1/4" is the thinnest size for laminate. I'd use some 1" posts (chunk of wood, folded papers, etc) to raise the glass off the surface or frame of the monitor. The price for 1/16" to 3/16" annealed is about 5 bucks per square foot depending on where you live, the 1/4" is about 10 bucks. Tempered or laminated doubles the price and tempered has to be ordered, the others can be cut and edges sanded while you wait in 5 minutes if they have it in stock.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Lay the plexi directly on the LCD frame, but make sure to cut or drill some vent holes in it first. Never tried anythiing like this myself, but if the issue is that heat would get trapped under there, it seems like a logical fix to me. A few holes scattered regularly across it shouldn't interfere with minis and gameplay, but would still allow heat to escape. You'd want several holes so that it would be less likely to have each of them covered by a wrong configuration of pieces blocking all of them.
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast