Thread: The Indigo Plateau

Guild Journeyer

Map The Indigo Plateau

This is a continuation of my July/August Lite Challenge entry, http://www.cartographersguild.com/sh...Indigo-Plateau

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	indigo_plateau.png 
Views:	408 
Size:	3.08 MB 
ID:	37926

It's functional - this labelled version shows everything clearly - but I'll be the first to admit it's no looker. I tried some realistic textures, but the scale's a bit too small for that really, so I'll be needing something a bit more representative.

I still face the challenge I mentioned before, regarding making the scale of the large buildings apparent. For the Tower of the Elite Four and 4 Indigo Place, we're talking skyscrapers. (The former has within four huge battling arenas, one above another; the latter's just a big office block). Has anyone else done maps with similarly large buildings? Another thing I can't figure out how to make clear is the construction of the Indigo Stadium - it's a huge earthwork, almost like a dam going around the field, with the stands built upon it on the inside, and the gate buildings leading to tunnels through it.
    I am a geology nerd.

Quote Originally Posted by cantab View Post
    Has anyone else done maps with similarly large buildings?
    I think shadows are the most obvious way to indicate height. And to the textures: You said the scale is a problem? We have huge world maps using textures down to inns and single houses - try to search some threads in the mapping elements section. You could also check out pasis tutorial (third post), it refers to overland mapping but maybe you can pick up some techniques and adapt them for your purpose in the end it is all about the textures you have.

If you decide to work with textures you could use an alternate version of the mountain techniques used by pasis to 'bank up' some earth piles around your construction side.
    Great to see you working on this! Imho the lables, how simple the might be, add a lot already

If you can't find suitable textures, let me now and I'll browse my archive for you.

>Moe
    If I stare at the country long enough
    I can prise it off the paper,
    lift it like a flap of skin.
    - Moniza Alvi, 1993 -