Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Continent of Dyrna (WIP)

Quote Originally Posted by ObsidianBlk View Post
    Hmmm... about the rivers...
    When I drew them, I tended to think of them as coming from the mountains and flowing down toward the oceans. So, I'm guessing while the source (the mountains) to the destination (the ocean) is correct, my thought that they can be split as they head to the ocean isn't. Ok, I'll have to see about redirecting the rivers some.

Thank you
    Don't worry - the river thing is one of the most common mistakes people make. You see it on a fir number of "professional" (or at least commercially published) fantasy maps, as well. I think it is because we often see depictions of rivers branching in delta regions, so we think it is applicable to the whole river system.

Guild Novice

Here is a major update to my map of Dyrna.

No... no river fixes. On one hand, I'm lazy and didn't feel like changing the map up (this may change). On the other hand, there ~is~ magic in the world, and, as I reviewed my rivers, I saw some structures in the rivers that could come about by some interesting magical phenomenon.

Also... nope, no compass or scale has been added yet. Sorry about that. Part of it is pure laziness (compass), and part of it is I haven't nailed down my exact scale yet, but I'm still picturing the continent to be roughly the size of the United States.

Three maps have been attached. The first is a completely clean map (except for the title). Nothing is labeled and you can see the drawing in it's uncluttered entirety. The other map is a labeled map where many many major features and locations are labeled. Not all of them are, but a number of them are. The third map contains colored territories for major empires, and territories of importance.

Hope you enjoy :-D
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Continent_Dyrna_Clean_Small.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	375.8 KB 
ID:	2914   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Continent_Dyrna_Labeled_Small.jpg 
Views:	71 
Size:	422.4 KB 
ID:	2915   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Continent_Dyrna_Territories_Small.jpg 
Views:	75 
Size:	399.8 KB 
ID:	2916  

Welcome to the group, and I agree, a very nice map.
    Daniel the Neon Knight: Campaign Cartographer User

Never use a big word when a diminutive one will suffice!

Any questions on CC3? Post them with CC3 in the Subject Line!
    MY 'FAMOUS' CC3 MAPS: Thunderspire; Pyramid of Shadows; King of the Trollhaunt Warrens; Demon Queen's Enclave

Much improved! I like what you did with the Lost Lands. It gives a hint of the shape of the land, but no details, and it doesn't look out of place as a blank spot any more. The mountains and hills are also looking quite nice, and I'm liking the way you've depicted vegetation following the river across the plains. As a plains-dweller, I can attest to the accuracy of that depiction, although I never thought of showing it in that fashion on a map.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by Midgardsormr View Post
    Much improved! I like what you did with the Lost Lands. It gives a hint of the shape of the land, but no details, and it doesn't look out of place as a blank spot any more. The mountains and hills are also looking quite nice, and I'm liking the way you've depicted vegetation following the river across the plains. As a plains-dweller, I can attest to the accuracy of that depiction, although I never thought of showing it in that fashion on a map.

I may not know too much about cartography myself, but I am familiar with the idea that, if there's not much rain in an area, there's not much vegetation either, so, in an arid region, the best place to find denser foliage is near lakes and rivers.

I'm not exactly sure what you mean by "although I never thought of showing it in that fashion on a map". If you're speaking about how I'm drawing it, basically it's a very simple custom brush in Painter IX that I made up and it's drawn onto a white layer which is multiplied over the rest of the map. Work's pretty well, in my humble opinion.

I simply meant the way you've shown it. I've done and seen maps where there is a greener area along the rivers, but I never thought about throwing down symbols to indicate those trees.

The brief description of your technique is much appreciated, too, though.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name

i agree nice map and the changes make it look much nicer

just have to say the rivers still stand out to me, kind of backwards and looking a little to neat (as in they go wherever they're needed). everything else looks great.
    Photoshop, CC3, ArcGIS, Bryce, Illustrator, Maptool

Guild Novice

Quote Originally Posted by loogie View Post
    i agree nice map and the changes make it look much nicer

just have to say the rivers still stand out to me, kind of backwards and looking a little to neat (as in they go wherever they're needed). everything else looks great.
    Thank you, but I'm not exactly sure what you mean by the rivers looking neat. I know they're a little backwards, but, as for where they're placed, I had no place that the rivers "needed" to be. I just started them by the mountains and sort of just went out from there. I had no actual plan for where they were going to be placed.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12