Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Commission: Lleimilla

Just a quick few changes to get a sample for the mountains and a border in place... Let me know what you think about the border and the mountain style.... they are larger than I would likely put on the final image...
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Lleimilla.jpg 
Views:	55 
Size:	3.96 MB 
ID:	38106  
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

The mountains are perfect (I understand you'll use a reduced version, as you said; I mean that the style is perfect)! As for the border, you've got it (assuming the islands around the desertic region are also desertic themselves).

Thanks for posting the update.

Ok.. still playing with a few different stylistic elements before "reset" and bringing everything all together into a single final approach. I created a symbol for sand dues and threw a few down along with some light "squiggles" to represent the desert nature... Magrathean, whatM do you think about the desert area as a whole now? I still have to do some transitional blending of course between the two geographical area.

I know you said that you were ok with me adding additional forests and mountains outside the geographical "required" elements, but did you have any ideas? Two things I was thinking about were if there was a mountain range separating the desert from the grasslands since this would be an logical barrier... thoughts? Also, I was thinking about the Stormlands being (at least partially) mountainous as an explanation for the stark climate change.

Views:	68 
Size:	3.53 MB 
ID:	38115  
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Dunes and mountains make sense.

As for the border being defined by some geological feature, this need not be, since there used to be no desert; the arid climate is due to a spell of terrible proportions having been cast over the region by warlocks from one empire in order to starve the opposing empire to death. Still, it would be cool to have a few mountains along the border. Let's see how that works out.

Mountains in the stormy region makes sense. I like that idea.

Ok.... first real mountain attempt on this map, hopefully they are in a style the buyer wants. Want to get comments before adding more mountains in other locations. Also not sure if they are to big or not at this point or if I need them to go smaller. Total time spent on mountains..umm perhaps 4 hours...

Views:	43 
Size:	2.53 MB 
ID:	38451  
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Hey!

Thanks for the update. Well, the mountains probably do need to be a little smaller (not too much, though; maybe 2/3 or 3/4 their current size). But their poisition is perfect. I assume the surrounding terrain will be a similar shade and texture so the mountains will sort of "fade" into it and look natural...?

Yea.... I will throw in a few hills "in front of" them to round them out and likely a few on the other side depending on available room. I reduced the size by 25%... How is that? Figured I would just add either hills left/right or I could add some another mountain or two...

Views:	31 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	38452  
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

That's perfect. And I love the idea of hills.

Ok.. Did a bit of blending now that the mountains are the right size....Will add a few hills later... perhaps tomorrow... Then on to more mountains in other places... will do line work first to make sure placement is good and if so, will add color and shading...

Ohh.. and I am going to ditch the sand dunes and do them some other way... perhaps a few in "groups" as I do not really like the scattered ones I had there, and also perhaps with some type of colored "speckles" in addition to the color.

Views:	34 
Size:	2.49 MB 
ID:	38454  
    My Finished Maps
    My Tutorials:

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast