Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Howdy :)

Post Howdy :)

Hey, everyone,

i'm new. lol

I'm an amateur cartographer. I'm pretty much a fan of maps of all kinds and collect as many as I can whether they are road maps, National Geographic map inserts, DnD maps, whatever. But the maps I draw are pretty exclusive to the world of Role-playing.

I look forward to seeing everyone's work and sharing some of my own.

-zero

Welcome to the Guild! I'm a newcomer as well. Just out of curiosity, what methods/programs do you use to make your maps. I use CC3 myself, which is especially useful for those of us who aren't too good at drawing things. Anyway, feel free to post up some of your work here. I'm looking forward to seeing what you've done.

Thanks,
    Prism Shard

Welcome to the place where you're never treated like nothing--unless of course your name happens to be "zero"...

Seriously welcome to the Guild. Post a lot and contribute a lot. From your short bio you are a perfect fit for this forum, so I hope you find plenty to help you and you find plenty of ways to help us become better mappers and enjoy maps that much more!

Welcome!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Welcome zero

To reiterate what Ravs said, most of the people here are amateurs (very keen, and in some cases, hugely talented amateurs, but amateurs nevertheless). Dont let the industry professionals bother you. They have their own room, and can sometimes be seen striding the quads at break time. I'm still waiting for the annual amateurs vs industry pros football match. then we'll show 'em I tell you.

Torq
    The internet! It\'ll never catch on.

Software Used: Terranoise, Wilbur, Terragen, The Gimp, Inkscape, Mojoworld

Hahaha, Torq, that's a riot. But couldn't be have that as a badminton game or rocks-paper-scissors match instead?....
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]

Welcome zero195. You will feel right at home on no time, if you don't already.

Quote Originally Posted by PrismShard View Post
    Welcome to the Guild! I'm a newcomer as well. Just out of curiosity, what methods/programs do you use to make your maps. I use CC3 myself, which is especially useful for those of us who aren't too good at drawing things. Anyway, feel free to post up some of your work here. I'm looking forward to seeing what you've done.

Thanks,
    Prism Shard

Well, I'm a big fan of graph paper and a #2 pencil... I'll be hooking up the scanner and scanning some of my stuff on here tonight, I hope. But I noticed a lot of folks here really like the editing programs and I myself have no experience with them... That CC3; I have no idea what it is or where to get it, but I'd love to check it out.

Since my focus is maps for DnD and other role-playing games I haven't had need in my group of gamers to expand my maps beyond what they are now. A lot of times when I hand out a game supplement and say you are here on the map I feel like they don't fully appreciate exactly what all went into that map with just the graph paper and #2 pencil. So to scan and color and add even further details to the countryside they'll never explore anyways I feel wouldn't be beneficial to them or myself.

Post welcome...

CC3 is ProFantasy Campaign Cartographer 3.0 at profantasy.com - a CAD based mapping application.

There are CAD apps, vector drawing apps - like Xara Xtreme, Inkscape, CorelDraw, Adobe Illustrator; there are raster apps like GIMP or Adobe Photoshop, there are stamp and fill apps like Dundjinni or Dungeoncrafter. There are many software apps used in the creation of maps.

I work with several of these apps, but heavily rely on hand-drawing then scanning into digital applications for post-processing.
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast