Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [Award Winner] (GIMP Plug-in) Creating torn old paper

Post [Award Winner] (GIMP Plug-in) Creating torn old paper

*** Update 08.08.2009 ***

I made small update to the torn old paper script. You now can use your own shapes.

If you set the parameter "Create a random paper?" to "yes" it will create a random torn old paper (thats actually the old version ).

If you set the parameter to "no" it will use all black areas of the currently active layer as a "custom" shape.

For a short tutorial take a look here

The new option "Delete paper shape" will only work if you did set "Create a random paper?" to no and will delete your active layer (the custom shape layer) after creating your custom torn paper.

This new version is much more flexible, as it allows you to customize your paper shape very easily. I would recommend to upgrade to this version

How to upgrade
    • Unzip the attached zip-file
    • Replace the tornOldPaper.py in your plug-in folder with the new one

*** Update 08.01.2009 ***

As I need to create some handouts for my new campaign, I decided to write a quick GIMP Plug-in based on RobA's tutorial about creating old paper (found here).

You have to copy both python scripts to your GIMP plugin folder, which is usually located at "C:\Documents and Settings\<Your Username>l\.gimp-2.4\plug-ins"

Afterwards you find those new plugins at "Filters\RPG Filters".

The first filter (Create old paper) is very simple, it just fills and bumps your picture but I am laaazy. The second one (Torn old paper) is very similar to RobA's tutorial. It just doesnt stroke the selection and doesnt add any grunge brush strokes, mainly cause I dont know what custom brushes you may have.

Anyways attached you find a picture of the torn old paper script and a second one after I added some grunge brushes and a symbol.

Every time you run the script you will get a different torn paper, so if you arent pleased with the first result, just run it again, and maybe change some parameters.

Enjoy

P.S.
    If you do not see the plugins, you dont have python and/or gtk+ installed on your system. You can find a short tutorial how to install python and pygtk fpr windows here
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Blank example Torn Paper.png 
Views:	7581 
Size:	640.4 KB 
ID:	6370   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Example Torn Paper.png 
Views:	12959 
Size:	827.0 KB 
ID:	6371  
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by Sagenlicht; 08-20-2011 at 01:51 PM. Reason: Updated Link to Python Installer Howto
    My Map Challenge Entries

I use GIMP for all my maps.

GIMP scripts and plug-ins overview

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

If you are using any of my posted stuff just use your rep stick on me

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Badger's Avatar

Nicely done sage... have some REP !!

I've installed python, gtk, pythongtk and reinstalled gimp 2.4. When i put the scripts in the plugins folder and restart Gimp, I don't see any RPG under filters.

Quote Originally Posted by melchior View Post
    I've installed python, gtk, pythongtk and reinstalled gimp 2.4. When i put the scripts in the plugins folder and restart Gimp, I don't see any RPG under filters.
    try (on your images window) to go under Filters-->RPG, it will be towards the very bottom

Hi melchior,

I tried to explain what you need to do in this threat again.

You will find the plugin in your Filters Menu at the bottom and it is called RPG Filters.

Please let me know if this solved your problem.
    My Map Challenge Entries

Everything I post on this site uses the Creative Common Attribution-Noncommercial-Share Alike license. Only exception to this are any pyhton scripts which use the GPL.

Should you be interested in using anything I posted on commercial purpose drop me a pm.

That did it. I only installed python gtk, not the others. I did that and reinstalled Gimp and there it is. Thanks!

You're welcome

I hope you can put the script to good use
    My Map Challenge Entries

Post new version out

I've added a new option to the tornOldPaper script. You now can define a custom paper shape.

I made 3 screenshots for a short tutorial

1. Add a custom shape to your active layer. I has to be black
    2. Run the script. Be sure to set the "Create a random paper?" to "no"
    3. Enjoy

Yes I know the tutorial screenshots arent a great work of art

You'll find the new version in my first post.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CustomShape1.png 
Views:	552 
Size:	43.9 KB 
ID:	9034   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CustomShape2.png 
Views:	322 
Size:	29.0 KB 
ID:	9035   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CustomShape3.png 
Views:	590 
Size:	496.5 KB 
ID:	9036  
    My Map Challenge Entries

It's didn't work for me....

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast