Thread: August/September challenge entry - Bunny Garden

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post

Wip August/September challenge entry - Bunny Garden

This challenge actually came at the perfect time! I'd been considering mapping a bunny garden for my girlfriend's birthday. It's September 10th so I better finish this challenge on time . She wants to plant a garden to attract small animals to the yard. So that's where this came from. My plan is for a hand drawn, watercolor painted map, in kind of a cartoony tourist map style. This exact sketch won't be in the final but is part of the planning process it reflects the style I'm going for.

### Latest WIP ###
    Click image for larger version. 

Name:	bunnygarden1.jpg 
Views:	70 
Size:	637.1 KB 
ID:	38001

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

The one thing to remember about the small animals is the roaming cats that people let out at night. I'm forever chasing cats out of my yard and I'm to the point of buying a paint ball gun to break some kitty ribs.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

I used to put out seed to attract small birds. It was very nice to watch. I had not anticipated that roadrunners might also be attracted to the large number of small birds...

Community Leader Facebook Connected tilt's Avatar
    Blog Entries

lol.. funny.. I was thinking of doing something cute myself - so my daughter could enjoy it as well - battle of cuteness is on (damn hard to compete with bunnies though *lol*) ... fun idea, looking forward to seing more
    regs tilt
    :: My DnD page Encounter Depot free stuff for your game :: My work page Catapult ::
    :: Finished Maps :: Competion maps - The Island of Dr. Rorshach ::
    :: FREE Tiles - Compasses :: Other Taking a commision - Copyright & Creative Commons ::
    Works under CC licence unless mentioned otherwise

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

And those hummingbird feeders seem to attract more squirrels than hummingbirds.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

In my backyard I've seen, deer, groundhogs, foxes, rabbits, cats, frogs. I generally find the little ecosystem back there kind of amusing. Then there was the time we saw a likely rabid skunk...

Anyway! I still don't have a good image of the final project, but here's an outline/sketch I made about a week ago.

### Latest WIP ###

Name:	toniwa0.jpg 
Views:	93 
Size:	349.1 KB 
ID:	38429

Map

Finished

### LATEST WIP ###

Name:	toniwa.jpg 
Views:	124 
Size:	661.8 KB 
ID:	38493

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

I really like it.... but quite honestly it doesn't really look very mappy to me. :-/

Quote Originally Posted by bartmoss View Post
    I really like it.... but quite honestly it doesn't really look very mappy to me. :-/
    I agree actually. I've seen a lot of maps that start to blur the line into 'scenes'. I was trying to do that, however because I also wanted the bunny in the entrance to be a particular size I couldn't make the scale shrink fast enough to give it a more schematic feeling. I think labels would have helped too.

Publisher Facebook Connected bartmoss's Avatar
    Blog Entries

It's not too late to put in labels...