Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Calandyrion

Professional Artist Guild Donor Sapiento's Avatar

Map Calandyrion

Style test using shaded reliefs.

Done in PS.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Calandyrion small.jpg 
Views:	528 
Size:	1.46 MB 
ID:	70780  

Looks great! I like your colour palette a lot, and the gorgeous border sets it all off nicely. If I were to nitpick (and this is only a personal preference of mine) I'd quibble about some of the labelling. It feels like your labels are all at different angles to each other, and it gives me a weirdly asymmetric feeling. For instance, towards the bottom left, the labels for Akkalion and Southern Wall are very close to each other, but are angled in slightly different directions. That feels ... off to me, though others may disagree. I do understand space is at a premium in some areas of the map though and it's hard to fit everything in, but I feel curving some of the labels might help. As I say, this is only my personal taste. I like everything to be orderly!

Community Leader Guild Sponsor - Max -'s Avatar

Nice one Sap, the shields are lovely.

Guild Journeyer Facebook Connected CaptainJohnHawk's Avatar

Great work! Easy to read, and the color palette is awesome. It all works very well with one another.
    And those shields are very nice. They add a great feel of history to the whole thing.

Quote Originally Posted by ChickPea View Post
    Looks great! I like your colour palette a lot, and the gorgeous border sets it all off nicely. If I were to nitpick (and this is only a personal preference of mine) I'd quibble about some of the labelling. It feels like your labels are all at different angles to each other, and it gives me a weirdly asymmetric feeling. For instance, towards the bottom left, the labels for Akkalion and Southern Wall are very close to each other, but are angled in slightly different directions. That feels ... off to me, though others may disagree. I do understand space is at a premium in some areas of the map though and it's hard to fit everything in, but I feel curving some of the labels might help. As I say, this is only my personal taste. I like everything to be orderly!
    You are right, I paid most attention to the relief.

Quote Originally Posted by - Max - View Post
    Nice one Sap, the shields are lovely.
    Thank you, Max!

Quote Originally Posted by CaptainJohnHawk View Post
    Great work! Easy to read, and the color palette is awesome. It all works very well with one another.
    And those shields are very nice. They add a great feel of history to the whole thing.
    Thank you, Captain!

Great map Sapiento! I like the choice of colors.

Cheers,
    -Arsheesh

Great map overall... and your point of focus - the relief - has turned out very nicely.

Care to share how you made it?

Very nice map and great mountains. I would be interested in your method too.

Thank you, guys!

I used shaded reliefs from http://www.shadedreliefarchive.com, and placed them over my land layer. I played around with various layer modes, that's a little bit experimenting. For deleting and adding details I used a soft brush.

Nice one Sap, looks really good and as an experiment I think you rocked it. If there was one thing that I'm feeling about this it's the mountains having all this character but the flatter areas being basically barren. This is an area my wife keeps busting my chops about so I'm working on a solution myself. I should probably post my experiments up here as you are but you seem to go all the way through and do labeling and all that.

Good job.

Oh, and thanks for the link to the relief site. That's pretty cool
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast