Thread: mapping by hand, no computer

Default mapping by hand, no computer

looking for information on how cartography was done before computers. the tools: pens, rulers, compass? was it all the lettering done by hand? my stuff comes out so rickety looking, the old stuffis so perfect. haven't found anything on this website. advice?
    thanks
    Brendon

Did you look in the tutorial section? There is AT LEAST one tutorial on using pencil and inks in there, but I believe there may be a few more than that..
    My Finished Maps
    Works in Progress(or abandoned tests)
    My Tutorials:
    Explanation of Layer Masks in GIMP
    How to create ISO Mountains in GIMP/PS using the Smudge tool
    ----------------------------------------------------------
    Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Guild Novice

I actually have a book on that. It gives all sorts of tips on how to draw different terrain symbols, etc. I picked it up at Powells in Portland, OR.

For accessible information, I'd suggest checking google books (eg. This or your local library, if you have libraries which have access to really old books.

sweet, thanks guys

There's a pretty good one by Delgondahntelius (sp?), I think.

The biggest secret to hand drafting I know is to use tracing vellum, also known as onion skin. You can pick up a roll of it at any art supply store for a few bucks. Make your initial drawing however you like, then lay the vellum over it and trace over the lines you want to keep. Use a new piece for each new level of detail you add. From there, I like to just scan all the layers of vellum into the computer and create the final image there. It's also possible to use carbon paper to transfer the drawing to illustration board, or you can leave your final work on vellum and simply mount that to something.
    Bryan Ray, visual effects artist
    http://www.bryanray.name