Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Conan

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Default Conan

I just saw this today and was... severely disappointed. Jason Momoa actually made a really good Conan, and it was cool hearing Morgan Freeman do the intro voice-overs. Rose McGowan also made a gleefully insane villainess. But the actual plot... so bad. So very, very bad. It could have been any generic sword & sorcery movie from the 80s - you know, like Deathstalker or Beastmaster*, etc. Yes, it was that terrible. I felt like I died a little inside when the credits began to roll.

*Actually, I kind of liked the original Beastmaster.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

I loved the beastmaster as an early teen. I thought it was so cool to have trained pets like that, the otters and hawk. Plus Tanya Roberts, rowr. When I first saw the trailer for this I immediately thought "launch vessel for khal drogo dude as a new action star" and didn't expect much.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps

Dude, those were Ferrets not Otters. Although clearly they are similar in look. Otters are way bigger than Ferrets. I used to own a Ferret. They are hilarious but smell a bit so you have to keep them bathed real good. Cool pets though and they love to play.
    “When it’s over and you look in the mirror, did you do the best that you were capable of? If so, the score does not matter. But if you find that you did your best you were capable of, you will find it to your liking.” -John Wooden

* Rivengard * My Finished Maps * My Challenge Maps * My deviantArt

If they wanted to do a new Conan film that was true to Robert E. Howards writing. Why not filming the Elephants tower. That would have been a great film. I mean a lot of the stories Howard wrote are great with a good plot and everything. Why did they try to reinvent the story, when they obviously didn't knoww how to do it.
    My finished maps

Mapping Worlds (My blog about mapping)

Imaginary maps (My facbook page devoted to mapping)

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

Yep, I totally agree, Clercon. There's so much rich movie material ALREADY THERE!!!!! Why they felt the need to come up with this abortion of a 'story' I'll never understand.

But I did see a trailer for The Thing remake, which actually looks really damn good, so it wasn't a totally wasted afternoon.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Ascension View Post
    I loved the beastmaster as an early teen. I thought it was so cool to have trained pets like that, the otters and hawk. Plus Tanya Roberts, rowr. When I first saw the trailer for this I immediately thought "launch vessel for khal drogo dude as a new action star" and didn't expect much.
    This. Everything about this.
    Royal: I'm very sorry for your loss, your mother was a terribly attractive woman.

My Cartographer's Guild maps: Finished Maps

More maps viewable at my DeviantArt page: Ramah-Palmer DeviantArt

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Yeah it kinda bombed at the box office, in fact most of the new(er) movies did relatively poorly this past weekend.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

Yeah, I recently watched 'Your Highness' on pay per view, from the trailers it looked like they were running with the idea of the TV series 'Krod Mandoon and the Flaming sword of Fire'. Krod Mandoon was excellent, hammed up and tipped a lot of winks to D&D players - who are after all the target market. 'Your Highness' was abysmal, - terrible script, where the running joke seemed to be that having a fantasy character who used bad language was funny. Possibly the first time, but it then became very tedious after that. No D&D 'in jokes' that I could see either. Truly dreadful.

I think our motto from work may apply here: "Quality with a capital K."

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast