Thread: Sometimes the muse drags you and sometimes you drag the muse...

Guild Novice

Wip Sometimes the muse drags you and sometimes you drag the muse...

Our internet was out for over 24 hours the last two days and I decided to work on a map to fill the time (since my eBook reader kept crashing). But I couldn't think of what to do and I'm in the process of "breaking in" a new laptop and .xcf files are to large as attachments with my email provider so I didn't have any of my unfinished maps. So I decided that I would play with the "render map" feature in the "create" menu in GIMP. I chose a solid gradient (Romanian Flag) used 'Select by Color' to pick up my landmasses and transferred them to their own layers where I could rotate them and arrange them in a manner that pleased me. Then I selected an individual island and scaled it up to do the detail work with the intention of scaling it back down later. Of course, with my new widescreen laptop, my toolbox dialog ends up on top of my zoom percentage. So when I thought I was working at 100% I was actually working at 25% and I didn't really have to go to the hassle of scaling anything because it was already plenty big enough. Oh well. DX

Map GIMP came up with...

My arrangement of them.

My current progress with the grand continent of "Shape 2" I'm going to redo the mountain before moving on to rivers I think...

Our regional fair was last month and I was intending on entering a map for the digital painting category in the hobby crafts competition. I had a couple ideas (and some inspiration for stories) but kept overthinking to a point where I just made a random map. I had a friend suggest some names for me and I got some inspiration. Sadly, I didn't have enough time to finish the map and it was my first time working for print (at 300 ppi) so it didn't turn out quite the way I wanted. It did earn me a pretty third place ribbon though. This is what it looks like currently:

Guild Novice

Re-did the mountains and added sand and dirt. Probably all I'm going to throw at it tonight...