Thread: Need help with a map

Help Need help with a map

Hi
    I'm new to cartography, and I need help making a map.
    Are there any tips you could give me, or softwares (I currently have GIMP) I should use (preferably freeware) or tutorials that would help me.

Thanks

Hi Windspear, as this is your first post and a question about tips to mapmaking, I've moved it here.

First, a very warm welcome to the guild! I hope you find it helpful in fulfilling your mapping ambitions.

GIMP is great for making maps. If you look at the tutorials section of the site, you should find a number of tutorials about mapmaking in GIMP many of the photoshop tutorials will work with GIMP too, with little or no tweaking. I suggest that you try RobA's tutorial on making an artistic map with Gimp. You can follow the steps and have a map at the end of it. Also try Don's Enenei Medieval city tutorial. Don's tutorial uses photoshop, but you should be able to follow most or all of the steps with GIMP.

In terms of software, there is lots to choose from (including not using software at all, but using a pen and paper), it depends on what you are most comfortable with. Take a look at the link at the bottom of my sig about the software you are using, that has discussions about what's available and the pros and cons. There is also a sticky at the top of the software discussion thread which talks about different software that people use, the price of it etc.

Enjoy your stay at the guild!

Also-

If you could provide pointers to any styles of maps you are trying to emulate, post them here. That way we can guide your search for tutorials (or a generous member might write one...)

-Rob A>

Hey, welcome, Windspear! If you need any help or advice on specific issues, please post. Also, make sure to start a WIP thread so we can see your progress.

Once again, welcome!
    Don
    My gallery is here
    __________________________________________________ _______
    "Keep your mind in hell, but despair not." --Saint Silouan [1866-1938]