Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Abandoned Modern Street map

Default Abandoned Modern Street map

I decided to finally create a post-apocalypse specific map, calling this abandoned street - pretty simple, though extremely detailed to fit a placed unlived in for decades. I place for a street fight, probably. An idea I had in mind for a while. The weeds in the cracks in the streets took forever to do, though. The street and it's details, the sidewalks, the plants, the cargo container, and the building to the top left were all done in vector using Xara Designer Pro, while the two vehicles, the girder, the rock piles and the buildings at top left and bottom were all created in the 3D, making this a mish-mash of design techniques. Enjoy!

GP

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	abandoned-street.jpg 
Views:	114 
Size:	2.17 MB 
ID:	126922
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Artstation Gallery - Maps and 3D illustrations

I may not post all the maps for this coming set until it's released as a map product, but this is map two, of the Abandoned Streets map set. This is an intersection of the same two lane street at the previous crossing a 4 lane street in town. There's a water damaged pit exposing some water pipes below. There is drainage grates, with one of them partially opened to the drain system below. Enjoy!

GP

Name:	abandoned-intersection.jpg 
Views:	41 
Size:	2.47 MB 
ID:	126938
    Gamer Printshop Publishing, Starfinder RPG modules and supplements, Map Products, Map Symbol Sets and Map Making Tutorial Guide
    DrivethruRPG store

Alright, third street map of the Abandoned Streets map set for sci-fi/cyberpunk/post-apocalyptic games. This one I placed a bomb crater, having done several craters and getting better at it. I made sure that the ground around the crater edge was pushed up. Also placed my Myrmidon Battle Tank as the vehicle in this map. I have an alley entrance way, and that's about it for this map. Next the bridge maps... enjoy!

GP

Name:	street-bomb-crater.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	2.22 MB 
ID:	126973
    DrivethruRPG store

Great looking maps. If I was running post apocalypse right now I would be scooping that pack up.

Question stemming from other threads recently, I will be asking others this and completely understand if you decline to answer. How many hours goes into a map like this? 3? 5? more? I know it's not exact since you can to some extent reuse artifacts from similar maps, but approximate is fine.

- Ernie
    Content available for use under CC BY-NC-SA 4.0.

That depends. Some of the vehicles were designed and rendered in 3D. Some were vector created for some map object set, I did 6 years ago - so technically I have "time" to account for in all those objects - they didn't create themselves, and I put some hours into those objects. Now I'm just scavenging an object or even a building here and there I've done years ago, and plopped it into one of the corners of the map, then cropped them off, since they aren't the emphasis of the map, the street is.

As for the basic map itself, I've got 4 or 5 hours into it. Now in that third map, I decided I wanted to do a serious 3D designed crater with broken pipes, transparent filthy water in it. So while the basic map took me only 4.5 hours in total. The modeling of the crater and pipes was a half hour by itself, then it took my computer 4.5 hours to render the image - I wasn't working, I was sleeping while this was happening. So there's time in there too, but I don't count it, since it wasn't active mapping. It was a computer number crunching to render an image.

Had none of the objects (vehicles and such) been previously created... I might have a day or two in this combining the time it took to create all the various elements. But as in these maps, I use previously created stuff all the time to make quick work of detailed maps.
    Last edited by Gamerprinter; 12-07-2020 at 05:41 PM.
    DrivethruRPG store

Thanks for the detailed answer, that helps me understand the process a lot better!

- E

I was going to do a couple maps for a bridge across a canal, but that seems a waste, so here's just a single map to represent a "tile" of a bridge. This one has several abandoned vehicles, as well as a section of the bridge road has collapsed into the water below. This map was entirely created in 3D; modeled in Wings 3D, and textured and rendered in Vue Creator. But the road textures, sprawling weeds, as in the other maps were created using Xara Designer Pro, a vector drawing program. I also cut out the places in the bridge that fell out, as vector subtractions, square bevel, and rusty girders placed below the hole. Since the water was rendered in 3D, when I cut out the hole, I cut a hole all the way through the image, so had to create water behind to match the water in the river...enjoy!

GP

Name:	street-bridge.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	1.68 MB 
ID:	127001
    DrivethruRPG store

Love the details of the cracked asphalt with grass in it and the body floating in the canal.

- E

Here's an alleyway for the Abandoned Streets map set for sci-fi/cyberpunk/post apocalypse games. You get a bonus with this one, since the other maps feature streets which are much wider than alleys, you only get partial buildings in the corners - in this map, you get one full interior space (which I entirely created in 3D), a commercial shop or small manufacturer of some kind. The roof is gone, and the uneven floor is filled with dank water, and a small tree growing inside. There's a larger partial to the left side, with stairs going up, and a closed bay door north of it. So do you think I need a second alley map for the set, or is this enough?

GP

Name:	street-alley.jpg 
Views:	27 
Size:	2.02 MB 
ID:	127005
    DrivethruRPG store

I'll do another alleyway map, later in the series, but I was in the mood to create the first of two maps for the subway system - this map is the entry level below the street level, but above the platform and track level, which will be the next map. Everything here was created in vector using Xara Photo & Graphic Designer 365 ($49), except for the escalator which you can only see the top of two escalators going down to the platform level. Those were created in 3D, modeled in Wings 3D and lit/textured/rendered in Vue Creator... okay, on to the subway platform... enjoy!

GP

Name:	street-subway-entrance.jpg 
Views:	31 
Size:	2.28 MB 
ID:	127020
    DrivethruRPG store

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast