Thread: World WIP

Guild Member Facebook Connected Alex's Avatar

Wip World WIP

It doesn't have a name, yet, so I will keep the thread title pretty blank for now. I'm following the Saderan tutorial. I had a bit of trouble getting a few layers to work, but I finally got it set right (couldn't find my layers, channels and path toolbar), and the ocean/water thing was giving me a hard time. I don't like it turned out, probably really bad so I'll go back and see if I can edit it.

I probably went overboard with the snow/ice, but I couldn't help it. I love mountains and show, and I wanted the north to be really snowy. The next step in the tutorial is rivers, but my Path tool isn't showing up the same as the one in the tut, so I'll have to wait until my PS savvy friend can fix it for me.

That said, my first WIP!

*I wish I could have made it bigger... too late now I suppose.*

Hopefully I can apply this to my hand-drawn map in time.

Thanks for looking! I look forward to suggestions, help or whatnot!
    Last edited by Alex; 12-05-2015 at 03:36 AM.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

looks pretty good... as you mentioned, its a bit small, and the mountains are really big if those landmasses are continents

good start though

Guild Member Facebook Connected Alex's Avatar

I spent all night making maps. its pretty fun

Mountains too big? I decided to redo it and make it, the map, bigger. This is a small screenshot so its not the full size, but are the mountains too big in this one too?
    Last edited by Alex; 12-05-2015 at 03:33 AM.

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

idk if they are to big for the scale, but the new mountains look a lot better

imo they're good. you have the hang of it, and they look good as they are. also the forests look good on the finished version.

Guild Journeyer

On a world-scale map, I think rivers are always going to be depicted as much wider than they really are. Scales are typically several km to a pixel after all.
    I am a geology nerd.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Ascension's Avatar

It's a matter of scale. If that little screenshot there represents like 500 miles then the river might be just 1 pixel wide but if it's only like 20 miles then it's fine. The flaw with the first mountain was that it look like one big mountain peak instead of a mountain chain with many peaks. Again, scale here - if it's 20 miles then cool but if it's 500 then the second mountains are better. Overall, though, nice so far.
    If the radiance of a thousand suns was to burst at once into the sky, that would be like the splendor of the Mighty One...I am become Death, the Shatterer of worlds.
    -J. Robert Oppenheimer (father of the atom bomb) alluding to The Bhagavad Gita (Chapter 11, Verse 32)

My Maps ~ My Brushes ~ My Tutorials ~ My Challenge Maps