Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A Regional WIP: Adelot (hand drawn)

Wip A Regional WIP: Adelot (hand drawn)

Hi there! I have never posted a true WIP so I thought I'd give it a try. It's been some while since I last posted on here; life intervened as it often does. "Hello" to those of you who recall me, and a hearty "nice to meet you" to those I've not met yet

This region of my world is a portion of the main continent with the loose cultural equivalent of a fantastic France. This first drawing is pen-and-ink with pencil on 14" x 17" Bristol board. I was trying out a style for drawing mountainous terrain that I ultimately decided not to go with. As I often do, this drawing was ultimately "discarded" but I kept it for reference for future projects.

The second and third drawings are on 17" x 22" vellum. The first is pen-and-ink with colored ink and colored pencil, the second is pen-and-ink with colored pencil. These were my early attempts at using color for clarification as well as my note-pages where I named the various towns, cities and landforms. As before, these have since been rejected and are kept as reference only.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adelot overall outdated overall blank001.jpg 
Views:	925 
Size:	259.6 KB 
ID:	38125   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adelot overall outdated color blank001.jpg 
Views:	191 
Size:	621.4 KB 
ID:	38127   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adelot overall outdated color blank002.jpg 
Views:	227 
Size:	1.59 MB 
ID:	38126  
    Last edited by psyekl; 08-28-2011 at 09:47 PM.
    Check out my works and download free samples at https://www.patreon.com/ierdesign

"Good teachers love inquisitive students."
    "Great societies demand quality conversation."
    "Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it, we go nowhere."

Since those earlier attempts, I have re-drawn my world and made changes not only to the shorelines, but to the scale as well. This drawing is of the relevant area, with the shorelines and major rivers of Adelot inked in for easier reproduction. I often use non-repro blue pencil to "sketch-in" my drawings, followed by pencil to solidify the lines and then finalized in ink when I'm happy with the outcome. What you see here is the nearly finalized drawing of the region's shorelines. I made some last-minute changes which can be seen as "scribbled out" in blue. I will be re-drawing this again, but it wasn't necessary for me to do so in order to continue on with the next step.

Name:	Adelot overall blank001.jpg 
Views:	262 
Size:	131.5 KB 
ID:	38128  
    Last edited by psyekl; 08-28-2011 at 10:14 PM.
    Check out my works and download free samples at https://www.patreon.com/ierdesign

"Imagination will often carry us to worlds that never were. But without it, we go nowhere."

This is the region of Adelot re-imagined with the new scale and shorelines. In this stage of the drawing all that is represented are the shores, rivers, roads and settlements. This is what I call a "blank"; basically an approved version of the map from which all future versions will be derived. At this point, all prior drawings of the region are retired to a separate file so as not to be confused with the new standard. Since this map is for my reference only, it is not necessary for it to be made legible to the general user, hence the lack of color or labels. I still don't have the knowledge needed to use software to edit my maps, but I do plan on learning to add color and text digitally to later versions.

Name:	Adelot Blank 8-2011.jpg 
Views:	1623 
Size:	541.3 KB 
ID:	38129  

Since world creation, for me at least, is an organic experience, there have been games and adventures created for the region even as it is still on the drawing board, meaning that the players needed maps too!

Name:	Adelot sketch.jpg 
Views:	161 
Size:	78.8 KB 
ID:	38133   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adelot Player's map.jpg 
Views:	307 
Size:	80.2 KB 
ID:	38132   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adelot Player Map.jpg 
Views:	2934 
Size:	225.7 KB 
ID:	38131  

Guild Artisan Facebook Connected Rythal's Avatar

Psyekl! welcome back! I'm still fascinated with those cavern maps you did way back.

looking good, as usual.... looks like a very well developing world.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

This looks really interesting do far, looking forward to seeing where it goes.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.

I've decided to re-draw the area at a different scale (again). This shows more of the area, and I've included the ley lines. Using this new scale, I'm enlarging the area of Adelot... again.

Name:	Adelot.jpg 
Views:	2028 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	38328   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Adelot Enlargement Sketch.jpg 
Views:	371 
Size:	302.3 KB 
ID:	38329  

Wip

For those that are curious, these are some of the most-often used tools in creating my maps (Please excuse the pink, it's left over from the previous homeowner ). On my desk are the various pens, pencils, erasers, templates, straightedges, scales, etc. The desk itself is a professional-grade adjustable draftsman's table with a mounted drafting machine. On the digital side I have a large-format scanner and printer that I use for scale changes and reproductions. I often use vellum which is transparent enough to simply lay over the prints or previous drawings in order to duplicate them, but for the thicker papers, I have a light box for tracing (it can be seen leaning against the leg of the desk in the lower-right of the picture).

Name:	DSCN1943.JPG 
Views:	101 
Size:	886.4 KB 
ID:	38342   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1945.JPG 
Views:	85 
Size:	792.6 KB 
ID:	38343   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSCN1946.JPG 
Views:	74 
Size:	1.02 MB 
ID:	38344  

Administrator Facebook Connected Diamond's Avatar

I would say... you've got no need to go digital. That last map with the ley lines is abso-damn-lutely awesome.

SOme nifty tools and handcrafts skills you have here... most impressive!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast