Thread: Polygonal Map Generation

Guild Novice

Default Polygonal Map Generation

here is new way of making fractal maps. well... definitely not new for everybody but at least new for me
    http://www-cs-students.stanford.edu/...ap-generation/
    there is a live Flash demo and tons of references at the end of the article.

Pyer

He starts out sort of similar as what I'm doing with my current WIP, using points to build polygons. Except that he's only mapping a section of a planet, while I'm working on generating the entire planet, so I'm having to build modified Voronoi polygons on a sphere instead of a flat plane (I say modified because I'm using ovals instead of circles as the basic Voronoi definition). I haven't made it all the way through mine yet though, so I've bookmarked the article, as his later steps may prove very useful for me. I had planned on just building the plate boundaries and let Fractal Terrains handle it from there, but where that transition happens isn't set yet. It's possible it may be easier to build continent boundaries first.

Thanks for the link!
    My Finished Maps | My Planet Maps | My Challenge Entries | Album: Pre-generated Worlds

------
    Assuming I stick with fantasy cartography, I'd like to become a World Builder, laying out not only a realistic topography, but also the geopolitical boundaries and at least rough descriptions of the countries and societies.

Community Leader Facebook Connected Steel General's Avatar

Interesting stuff there... thx for posting.
    My Finished Maps | My Challenge Maps | Still poking around occasionally...

Unless otherwise stated by me in the post, all work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-Noncommercial 3.0 United States License.